Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3/4 HP,VFD Package for my oliver lathe

Did you get the same one I did, or the 220 V input. Really this 110V 3/4HP set up seems to work pretty well. I just was finishing up this small bowl, it works nice. You may have to still use your belts some, the oliver, with the reeves drive on High, and the Frequency on 20HZ I can stall the motor with the hand wheel.
    But I'm just saying, I never expected to be able to leave it on high, and use the VFD for all my speed range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    Thanks. Just scooped up a 3/4 hp for my metal lathe.

Yep I needed the 110. I think I'm over my quota for 220 stuff.

This is great info to someone new to the VFD concept (me). Opens the world of three phase toys.

Seems like an excellent deal for the VFD and motor.

Yeah, I know now if l find a 3 phase uni, what is going on it, instead of a 1 phase motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    This is great info to someone new to the VFD concept (me). Opens the world of three phase toys.

Seems like an excellent deal for the VFD and motor.
    Last edited by Anthony Diodati; 03-27-2013 at 7:47 PM.

Well thanks to Anthony, I have not got a variable speed with forward and reverse, metal lathe. My 1950 South Bend 9 has now come into the new era. It runs smooth and the VFD has a ton of features. Once you figure out the programming, it's kind of like setting a digital watch. The book isn't the most user friendly but with Anthony's suggested setup and looking his settings in the book, the setup became simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad you got it up running. I had some help, just passing it forward. I am now thinking of the same set-up for my metal lathe.
    I still have to tidy mine up a bit, and mount the controls. I was thinking of putting the VFD in some kind of enclosure, maybe a old computer tower.
    I think we have a few more to hear from on here.

I am a little late with this but I ordered my 1hp 220 volt motor and vfd controller a week ago friday. I got it delivered on Wednesday. Yesterday I got the switch and pot that I need from Radio Shack. Unfortunately I will not have the time to get the whole thing put together on my old lathe for some time as I farm and I am getting into my busy season now. I thought I better buy it now while it is available, it will give me a good project to start on later this summer. The guy I talked to at dealers electric was helpful and everything happened like it was supposed to. I think Anthony should be getting some commissions from dealers electric on this deal.

Jared,
    My only caution is, you might hook it up and hot it up to make sure it all works. All you need do is get 4 wires that will fit into the VFD's motor connections and the same for you 220 volt. #12 is as big as I think you can get in those holes, so don't go too big, #14 would work fine and be easier. Plug it up and push the RUN button, the box is programmed to start the motor slooooow. Then use the UP ARROW key to take the speed up. 60 hz is all that's needed to test the motor. Let it run a little bit and push STOP. Then you can put it back in the box to work on it in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I am a little late with this but I ordered my 1hp 220 volt motor and vfd controller a week ago friday. I got it delivered on Wednesday. Yesterday I got the switch and pot that I need from Radio Shack. Unfortunately I will not have the time to get the whole thing put together on my old lathe for some time as I farm and I am getting into my busy season now. I thought I better buy it now while it is available, it will give me a good project to start on later this summer. The guy I talked to at dealers electric was helpful and everything happened like it was supposed to. I think Anthony should be getting some commissions from dealers electric on this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    The guy I talked to at dealers electric was helpful and everything happened like it was supposed to. I think Anthony should be getting some commissions from dealers electric on this deal.
    Yeah, There ya Go, Free shipping on my next order at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    Jared,
    My only caution is, you might hook it up and hot it up to make sure it all works. All you need do is get 4 wires that will fit into the VFD's motor connections and the same for you 220 volt. #12 is as big as I think you can get in those holes, so don't go too big, #14 would work fine and be easier. Plug it up and push the RUN button, the box is programmed to start the motor slooooow. Then use the UP ARROW key to take the speed up. 60 hz is all that's needed to test the motor. Let it run a little bit and push STOP. Then you can put it back in the box to work on it in the summer.
    Good advise, make sure it's not DOA.

I had been thinking it would be a good idea to just try out the motor and controller and see if it works and then worry about mounting it on the lathe at a later date.

That set up is $195.00 now. Went up $15.00.
    Wouldn't be surprised if shipping went up too. I was thinking about getting the same VFD for the powermatic sander I have started to work on again, but I guess I would be better off just digging up a single phase motor for the belt sander. Don't really need reverse on a belt sander, variable speed would be nice, but not really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    I thought I'd start a new thread here, as I am still wondering what to do with the motor for my 159.
    I still need to learn to use it, but that is another thread.
    This set up is only about $180.00, and although 220 might be better, I like the Idea of 110 volt.
    I am renting right now, and don't want to run 220 right now.
    This set up says it gives you the VDF and the 3 Phase motor.
    I don't have any 3 phase motors laying around any more,
    Is this really ready to go, and all I would need?

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6899

Attachment 256627

EDIT
    For $20.00 more,they have a 1 HP
    No the 1 HP has a 7/8" shaft.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6900

That package is $265.00 Now!!!
    I guess it's free-ads treadmill time now.
    I scored one today BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    I thought I'd start a new thread here, as I am still wondering what to do with the motor for my 159.
    I still need to learn to use it, but that is another thread.
    This set up is only about $180.00, and although 220 might be better, I like the Idea of 110 volt.
    I am renting right now, and don't want to run 220 right now.
    This set up says it gives you the VDF and the 3 Phase motor.
    I don't have any 3 phase motors laying around any more,
    Is this really ready to go, and all I would need?

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6899

Attachment 256627

EDIT
    For $20.00 more,they have a 1 HP
    No the 1 HP has a 7/8" shaft.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=6900