Thread: Claro Walnut Vessel

Claro Walnut Vessel

This is from a piece of Claro Walnut I received as a gift a few months ago. It's just been waiting around for me to decide what I wanted to turn from it.
    The blank was about 4" x 4" x 9", so I knew it would be a taller, narrower form, something I don't do alot of. I find it much easier to get a nice curve on a shorter, fuller piece, than the long taper on a taller piece, so I guess this was good practice for me.
    At our last club meeting, we were all given a chunk of ma-somethingorother ebony to turn something for the next Presidents Challenge, maybe Jason Clark will chime in with the exact type of wood. The ebony was donated to the club and had been sitting around for years in log form and had it's share of checks and cracks. The chunk I got had a crack running almost all the way through it lengthwise, so I took it to the bandsaw, cut it in half lengthwise at the crack and then cut off a small section about 2" x 2" and used that to make the collar.

It's 8 1/2" x 3 1/2" and the walls are 1/8". For the finish, I gave it a good coat of danish oil, let it soak in then wiped off the excess, then finished it up with a few coats of antique oil. I may add another coat or two and then buff it out.

PICT0001-002.JPGPICT0006-002.JPGPICT0007-002.JPGPICT0003-002.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.

"If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Beautiful, Kathy. How do you hollow your vessels?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Indonesian Ebony.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Beautiful, Kathy. How do you hollow your vessels?
    Thanks Brian! I have a Jamieson captured hollowing system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Clark2 View Post
    Indonesian Ebony.
    Thanks Jason!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Sweet piece Kathy. Love the claro.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks great, Kathy. I love the satin finish on this piece....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Great looking piece! Nice looking walnut!
    Billy

neat tall vessel..the little ebony top gives the impression you hollowed thru a pencil sized opening.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very nice Kathy, I'd like to know how you "guys" do this?
    I am having trouble keeping a 1/4" wall thickness open bowl in one piece.

Super, just plain super! Have to love a piece like this. I'm another one that don't like trying to get walls that thin but do sometimes. Thanks for sharing it Kathy!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

11. Really nice Kathy, 1/8" thick takes some kind of skill level, I like the diversity of your turnings, always something different.

Beautiful!!!

Great looking piece Kathy.