Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools from Japan Stones

My wife gots these as a birthday present for me about a week ago... after Paypal's crappy exchange we paid $286 including the "Economy Air" shipping. I really wished he'd accept credit cards so the exchange was better.

They are still showing as "Processing" so I am not sure when they'll showup.

BCM

Not sure when you'll get them, but they'll be worth it when you do. If you're in a major super hurry to get right to the nuts when you get them, put a slight microbevel on something with the 13k stone, and polish the other side quickly and you'll feel all better.

I paid about $250 and when you add shipping they were probably $300. I know better than to say this, but these should be my last stones.

Alert to those who are patience; the Dollar is going up in value and the Yen is going down. I think the trend will continue for the next few months...6 ?? This will mean the stones will become cheaper. If you look now though they probably have dropped since I bought mine.
    Jim

I'm very happy with my Bester 1200/Naniwa Jyuunpaku 8000 combo, but if the USD/JPY > 100, I'm going to seriously consider buying some more stones to play with.

Just purchased a set. My first set of water stones. Looking forward to using them soon. Too many dull tools on my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Martin View Post
    Just purchased a set. My first set of water stones. Looking forward to using them soon. Too many dull tools on my bench.
    First set, eh? Good. . .you don't have any odd habits to unlearn from other stones then.

You won't be sorry. I bought a set back when the exchange rate was high, and even though that set (at a Sigma Select II 240) cost me $430, I couldn't be any happier with sharpening stones. Stu made a customer for life out of me, and any time I talk to someone that does woodworking and needs to sharpen stuff, I tell them the Sigma stones are absolutely awesome.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    First set, eh? Good. . .you don't have any odd habits to unlearn from other stones then.

You won't be sorry. I bought a set back when the exchange rate was high, and even though that set (at a Sigma Select II 240) cost me $430, I couldn't be any happier with sharpening stones. Stu made a customer for life out of me, and any time I talk to someone that does woodworking and needs to sharpen stuff, I tell them the Sigma stones are absolutely awesome.

+1

Stu's real, genuine, and honest!!!! Great guy to invest in great stones with. Now, other stones are nice, as well; but the Sigma Powers work simply and consistently without some of the finicky traits of other stones.