Thread: Broke my finger...

Blog Entries

Broke my finger...

(this is a repost of a thread I started on the IAP forum, thought some might find it amusing)

...or if I didn't, it darn near feels like it. All in the name of lathe accuracy.

So, the story goes... I took possession of a robust American Beauty with all of the trimmings about a year and a half ago, give or take. It has worked wonderfully for bowls and such, but now that I've been turning a lot of pens, I wanted to dial it in for such use. Although I have a nice drill press (Delta 18-900L), I try to keep all of my work at one station (I may rethink that because of the constant retooling, but that's neither here nor there for this story). So I started drilling on the lathe.

I use tower jaws to hold the blank. I would see a tiny amount of wobble in the bit as it first touched the blank, and by the time it was about ready to pop through the other side of a 3" length, the wobble was so bad I thought the bit was sure to break any day now. I finally decided to see if my axis was aligned... 60deg dead center in head, 60deg live center in tail, bring together, aaaaand... hmmmm. Looks pretty good, for a wood lathe, but I want to know just how much it really is, so out come the calipers.

I estimated about a 25mil difference between points. Check quill... nope, same fully extended. Rotate live and dead centers... nope, same thing. Okay, it's the head that's out of wack. Verify with my CNC's laser alignment tool. Yep... 60 mil diff in location at 14" of movement. Miniscule for a bowl, but HUGE for drilling pen blanks, evidently. So out comes the file.

Of course, for those who have ever worked on a Robust, you'll know the headstock weight is massive (100+ pounds?). During my first attempt at removing it from the bed, I wasn't properly prepared for the shift in weight, so I slammed the head into the bed, with my finger acting as a buffer. So, writhing in pain, I managed to keep hold of the head until I could gently place it on the ground.

Lucky for me, the wife keeps those ready-made daiquiri packs in the freezer, so I used one of those to sooth my pain (I used it as a compress, but I'm seriously considering imbibing it, too).

After 4 filing sessions with the head's tenon, with me putting the head back on for test fits each time (yeah, now my back is killing me, too), I'm happy to say I can now drill a blank from end to end with no noticeable bit wobble... and the hole is square to the blank at both ends I can finally do celtic knots and other similar blanks without worrying about the knot looking like a 2 year old tied it

Maybe it'll cut down on some of the chatter I've seen from time to time far from the head.

Excuse me while I go get drunk to dull the pain...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

sorry about your pain, thanks for sharing, 100 lb headstock , wow, i did not realize

Sorry to hear about your finger Dan. Hope you are not in much pain and it heals soon!

Dan, i feel your pain, well at least some. I was turning a split shaft (paper glued length-wise between two pieces of wood) when it separated and one piece caught my thumb between it and something - tool handle, tool rest, who knows it happened too fast. Ten days later and I still have to be careful with the thumb although the color has returned to normal, but I have a dark arc in the nail.

Have a care.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for sharing. I think we all have stories like this!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Like hand sanding the inside of the bowl spinning in reverse...except trying to sand in the place meant for forward spinning. Bruised/numb fingertips makes holding turning tools a tender topic for the rest of the day.

Don't drink and turn...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    sorry about your pain, thanks for sharing, 100 lb headstock , wow, i did not realize
    I don't know the exact weight, but when you consider the (3HP Leeson) motor is attached to it, it's not a light piece of equipment. 3 pulleys, spindle lock, etc. make for a bulky unit, too.

I should have taken a pic of the first blank I put in... more crooked than a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

I should have taken a pic of the first blank I put in... more crooked than a politician.
    I understand your painful finger , keep it warm
    will you be turning corkscrews with your crook lathe ?

When I first got my Powermatic lathe, I wasn't ready for the weight of the headstock either. It fell on my finger and trapped it between the headstock and top of the lathe bed. Lucky for me my wedding ring saved my hand and I wasn't hurt at all. My ring got bent, but a jeweler easily made it round again.

Blog Entries
    I think my wife would prefer it was my finger that got bent instead of my ring, Pat