Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone help me identify this?? And maybe give me an approx age?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Based on the wear on the rest of the peice, i would have to guess the holes in the bottom are more recent, or they wouldnt be so define and prefect would they?
    My vote is with Brian and that there were some sort of glides that went by the wayside after most of the wear happened on the piece in the holes which is why they still look so crisp.

One more thing is that the angle of the legs on the one side looks intentional and isn't (imho) compatible with them having been substantially longer.

Good question on the metal piece, I hadn't noticed that before, no idea but it certainly adds to the mystery of the piece. Can you get a better picture of that part/side?

I've got it ! Tie rack made for a Father's Day present .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Curtis, It looks like an old chair someone had sitting around and needed this thing for a certain purpose and took the old chair and cut it down to make the little stand. Is that a metal piece on the one edge, and if it is does it look like it went all the way around at one time? Also on the bottom are there chamfers on the edges in the center on the 2 boards, or does it look like it might have been a "V" groove that perciptitated a break of a single board and that is the reason for the scab piece on the bottom.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was a small step for a shoe shine guy, or it was for some one who had one leg shorter than the other and it was used to stand at their job all day. I guess without a picture of someone using it we will never know.

Cool old piece though,

Jeff
    It might have belonged to my aunt Ileane......

4. Don't know for sure but could it be for sitting at a quilting frame.They used to have the frame suspended from the ceiling on pulleys. they would lower them down to quilt each evening or when they had bees. As a hand quilter I Know how a 4"lift on the feet relieve the stress on back and shoulders. Or if they had the room to leave it set up all the time and stopped to quilt a little at a time during her busy day could explain the scuff marks. The angle with different legs would make it more comfortable. Just some thoughts from a different perspective. Margie

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    A woodworker 100 years ago --> "*NOW* it's level..."
    Ha!

As is said "I cut it three times and it's still too short"

I love these kinds of puzzles. Interesting piece.

My theory is it was a boot cleaner with the metal scrapers worn down. Might also explain the leg movement, since the splaying seems be to where the scrapers are attached. Doesn't mean anything, but it looks like the front left leg in the first picture was replaced. It doesn't seem to match the shape or orientation of the other three. There are also holes along the sides without the metal scrapers, and I wonder if there were brushes or something else sticking out of those holes.

Just my thoughts.

Steve