Thread: Bandsaw - Used Rikon or New Grizzly?

Question Bandsaw - Used Rikon or New Grizzly?

Which to choose? Used Rikon 10-325 14" that is perfectly serviceable , but probably could benefit from new bearings in the upper wheel and maybe new tires, or new Grizzly 0555LX 14".

This saw would be used mainly with smaller blades (1/8 - 3/8) for more detailed cutting...boxes, figures, etc. and with the Carter stabilizer system maybe half of the time. I already have a 16" for heavier cutting and resawing, but I'm tired of changing blades and making adjustments over and over.

The used Rikon will cost about the same as the new Grizzly...maybe a tad more if I choose to replace bearings.

Opinions and/or comments?
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I have a 555....it's a nice very nice saw. Generally, I'm not a big fan of Rikon because I don't think they're good values, but in this case I would snatch up the Rikon if you can get it for around the same price as the 555. It's simply a better saw.

I'm a real fan of all the 14" cast iron clones because of their versatility and all the accessories that have been developed over the years. You'd also get the new warranty and Grizzly's customer service. However, I think I've got to agree with John and go with the Rikon. It's a lot more machine.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I agree taht the Rikon is the better machine.

But warranty vs. no warranty and it doesn't sound like resaw capacity is a consideration. Of course there's also resale ....

This isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. The 10-325 is a very different saw than the other 14" Rikons and G0555-series saws, isn't it? It seems more comparable to Grizzly's G0457 saw. With the OP's comparison and both prices around the cost of a new G0555LX, this Rikon seems the hands-down winner. Gets my vote in this new-used decision, anyway.

Yeah, exactly...they're not even in the same class. Even resaw ability set aside, the 10-325 is going to run rings around the 555. Again, nothing against the 555...I have one and I like it, but there's a reason it's 1/2 the price of the 10-325. As Joe says, it's more evenly matched with the G0457. My only beef with new Rikons is that for the same price you can normally get a better saw from Grizzly, or the same saw for less, so I feel I have to steer people towards the better value. When talking used, none of that matters.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Note that Grizzly just announced their 30th Anniversary sale and there are bandsaws involved. This one would most likely be worth checking, they uploaded a new banner ad here yesterday.

I don't have experience with either but I think Rikon is way to go. The Rikon has cast iron wheels and it would be beneficial
    for resawing needs. It has 1 1/2 HP. Make sure if you'll purchase old saws, you need check first the motor.

Blog Entries
    I have a 14" Rikon, an 18" Grizzly & a 19" Agazzani. The Grizzly has the most features for the money but the Agazzani is smooooth as silk. I personally yhink you'll get the most for your money from the Grizzly.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.