Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a mostly power tool guy some chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The closest LV (London) is a 3 hour drive plus border crossing time which can be significant. The place I found the Stanleys, that;s all they had.
    If it helps I'd be happy to send you one of my LV 01 chisels. I don't use the 1" much so I don't mind lending it out (just promise not to back bevel it) PM me if your interested.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

im not all that crazy about the handles on the pfeils either but that can easily be fixed. For the price range you listed I think the pfeil is the best chisel you can buy. They were ranked right behind LN in a chisel test a few years ago. If that is unacceptable than shell out another 90 dollars and buy the LN/LV 01 chisels. After a couple weeks the sting of the price goes away.

3. The Ashley Iles Round Back dovetail chisels arrived yesterday. They are extraordinary. So sharp, so nimble. Wouldn't want to really WHALLOP these, they are a bit more delicate, but I love the way they work for dovetails. They pare excellently. Can get right down into the corner as the edges are tapered down to the back. A steal at around 25 dollars each from Tools for Working Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Clements View Post
    The Ashley Iles Round Back dovetail chisels arrived yesterday. They are extraordinary. So sharp, so nimble. Wouldn't want to really WHALLOP these, they are a bit more delicate, but I love the way they work for dovetails. They pare excellently. Can get right down into the corner as the edges are tapered down to the back. A steal at around 25 dollars each from Tools for Working Wood.
    Thanks for the mini review. I've been thinking about getting the 1/16 and 1/8 to "round" out (haha, I'm punny) my LV chisel set. Can't beat that price, for sure.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I actually have a full 10pc set of the Narex chisels, from 1/4" to 2", plus a pair of 1/2" skew chisels, and a full set of 6 mortise chisels from 1/8" to 1/2". I have found them to be quite good. I may have to sharpen them a little more often than some of the more expensive sets but its not like I have to hone them every time I use them either. Now, I do have large hands, so that may be a factor as they have relatively large handles. But for me, they just fit nice. The skew chisels come in real handy for cleaning up dovetails too. As for the mortise chisels, they are excellent. They're made similar to the old "pig sticker" style English chisels with oval handles and tapered blades. All that said, I also have heard good things about the Stanley Sweethearts. I've seen them listed as "Best Value" before in one of the wqoodworking magazines. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either set.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    I agree that buying as required will net you better chisels. I have a set of old Marples that are my daily users; no complaints. I also have a 3/4" paring, a set of butts, and a scattering of extra thin, long, crooked, etc. The Marples do the bulk of the rough work. The specific chisel I want comes out for that specific task.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you want a whole set and don't want to spend a whole lot, I'd also recommend Hirsch/Two Cherries. I've had a set for four years or so and am quite satisfied with them. They take a good edge, sharpen easily and also take a good whacking. I don't know what else you want in a chisel. My good chisels are Bergs.

Hmm...I had also emailed a couple local friends with the AI, LN, and PM-V11 chisels. Turns out the guy with the AI ones got rid of them and bought the Stanleys which he likes (even) more. The guy with the LV said the only thing he'd change is to buy them in O1 instead of A2. And of course the guy with the PM-V11's loves them because apparently no one dislikes them )

So another question: is sharpening either them PMV11 or O1 steel with a Worksharp going to be any kind of issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    So another question: is sharpening either them PMV11 or O1 steel with a Worksharp going to be any kind of issue?
    I have to sharpen chisels a lot because I teach a hand cut dovetail class and the students use my chisels (if students bring their own, I wind up having to sharpen them).

I use a Worksharp 3000 to put a primary bevel of 25 degrees on all of the chisels - Carbon steel, LN A2, LV PM-V11, and Japanese chisels. Then I go to my water stones and put a secondary bevel of 35 degrees on the chisels. Very quick. I can touch up the chisels several times before I have to go back and re-establish the primary bevel.

I use 120 grit on the WorkSharp to establish the primary bevel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Matt,

Try one or two LN in your favorite sizes and see how they feel !?!
    I had the same opinion regarding buying USA using the small guy etc.
    After using the LN they just didn't feel GREAT in my hand, so I sent them back under their 30 day return policy.
    Of all the tools we have, Ive only sent the LN set and a festool jig saw back - with any pricey tool purchase you should be delighted using it or move to something else.
    I kept the LN 10 chisel roll as its the nicest I've ever come across and ours move from shop to site daily.

In the same roll a older set of marples and new LV pmvs ( at least the ones not back ordered ) which one gets used depends on the task at hand

Ok, you guys twisted my arm...ordered the PM-V11 set. Really not much of a savings to leave 1 off and definitely expensive to buy them all separate on multiple orders. All presuming the ship date doesn't slip which may result in re-evaluation.

I ordered their canvas roll too for the rare times when I do take the out of the shop.