Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a mostly power tool guy some chisels

Recommend a mostly power tool guy some chisels

My MHG chisels have to go as they've proven to just be too crumbly at the edges. Reading, it's not just me. Luckily I have a large set because there are always some awaiting major sharpening.

I wanted to spend in the $200 range. What I've found:
    • Ashley Isles 6-piece set from The Best Things for about $160. I've read they can be soft at the factory edge but after grinding back they are good. As a plus, it includes every size I think I want--1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1". Assuming they are actually available as TFWW has listed them out of stock for several weeks.
    • Stanley Sweetheart. I read these can take some work to set up. I came REAL close to buying the full set for an awesome price ($170) today. Also includes every size I want and then some which maybe I could sell and recoup some cost.
    • Lie Nielsen 5pc set pushing the budget pretty hard at $275. The included small one is 3/16 instead if the 1/8 I think I want, and it doesn't have the 1". Probably wont miss anything. Plus, I think I can expect them to come ready for a light honing and use.
    • LN O1 which are really pushing the budget at $295. Didn't find a ton on these. No 1/8 or 1" available if I decided I wanted them.
    • Pfiel cabinet maker set. Held one at Woodcraft the other day and I don't like the feel of the handles. Off the table.

The LV pm-v11s are just way too far past my budget to consider however nice they may be. Same with the Blue Spruce. I also don't want to go with another inexpensive set like the Narex or Woodriver that I may outgrow and end up wanting to replace down the road.

My uses are occasionally hand cut dovetails, occasional mortises, and various cleanup operations after machine operations. And that could change over time as well.

When I was talking to my wife today she encouraged me to buy the LNs over the Stanley for the ready-to-use and buy-American/small business factor over saving $100 and buying from a big conglomerate.

If it makes a difference, I'm a Worksharp user.

Sounds like you already answered your question, get the LN to keep your wife happy!

Maybe. Just want to make sure my facts and assumptions are right, I think.

The LV chisels are about the same price as the LNs and the LV hold an edge longer. I'd spend the few dollars more and get the LVs. A good set of chisels will last you a lifetime.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lie Nielsens would be sweet.

Another set that could possibly be on your list are Two Cherries.
    I also know people who say Marples really aren't bad at all.

Tk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The LV chisels are about the same price as the LNs and the LV hold an edge longer. I'd spend the few dollars more and get the LVs. A good set of chisels will last you a lifetime.

Mike
    You mean he O1s? Tell more about them. Mostly I found stuff on the PM-V11s.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    You mean he O1s? Tell more about them. Mostly I found stuff on the PM-V11s.
    No, I mean the PM-V11s. As far as I can tell, the LV O1s are no better than any other O1s.

But only buy the PM-V11s for the sizes you use the most. For me, that's 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. Everything else can be less expensive chisels because I don't use them very much.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-03-2013 at 7:28 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've owned both the LN and the Ashley Iles. Both are fine chisels and would serve you well. That said, you will never regret buying the Lie Nielsen chisels.

Those pm -v11 are the way to go .They are MAGICAL! Friend of mine was using a set in his side yard,went in house for a moment ,when he came back they had DISAPPEARD!.....Any body know how you get them to REappear?

I almost bought the pfeil set this weekend but at the last second decided not to. I have a set of the original Stanley 750's sizes 1/4-1 1/4 and they work perfectly. I don't know what I would gain by buying a set of premium chisels other than less sharpening. I don't think I paid more than three dollars per chisel and they perform every task I need.

Except the pmv11s are double the desired proposed and 25% more than the stretch budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Except the pmv11s are double the desired proposed and 25% more than the stretch budget.
    You're approaching the problem incorrectly. A set is false economy--you might never use the 3/4" for example. Buy three PM-V11s in the sizes you use the most. For most of us, that means the smaller chisels: 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. I snagged the 3/8 to confirm they really are that awesome and will be adding the other two soon-ish.

If you're tuning mortises with them that have been hogged another way, I'd want something bigger like a 1 1/2 or a 2. Neither LN nor LV offer that chisel.

If you're chopping mortises by hand, you probably want a dedicated mortise chisel or two in the sizes you actually use. Needing a full set of mortise chisels is even rarer than needing a set of bench chisels.

Blog Entries
    My MHG chisels have to go as they've proven to just be too crumbly at the edges.
    These kinds of chisels make good beater chisels for when you do not want to take good chisels out that might want to become MAGICAL by growing legs. They are also good when a friend or neighbor wants to borrow a chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Did you own any Narex's? What was it that you disliked?

Buy one or two of either LV or LN and see if you like them. Then buy one or two more. I use the small sizes most, say less than 3/4", then skip up to something wider like 1 1/4".