Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dream Catcher Vector/Raster Buffalo

Excellent job Ron! Let us know how it turns out......
    Last edited by Jimmy Phillips; 03-05-2013 at 9:13 AM.
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

Yea looks very nice. The line's are allot straighter . I do have a quick opinion. Originally i wanted the line's smooth like in your illustration. But when i got the jagged version out on my laser with birch wood it gave the borders of the dream catcher allot better contrast for some reason. It looks pretty nice. I slapped a coat of stain on it. Then decided to glue the feathers on rather than hang them from leather string. Put a coat of semi gloss clear coat. A high gloss would of been to much...

I am going to try your design when i get a chance. Thanx
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

CorelDraw files (.CDR) have a file size upload limit of 433KB on the board, so I can understand why you were having issues uploading the file Jesse. ZIP files have a file size upload limit of 1.91MB which allows for some larger .CDR files to be uploaded (if zipped). You should be able to take your originals, save them to a lower version, then zip them to allow SMC uploading.

My whole purpose for recreating the files was purely for my education; I'm still new to CorelDraw and Lasering in general, so I like to see what other's have done and then tweak and/or recreate them.

Here are the recreated files in version 12 and version 16:

V16_Dream_Catcher_Buffalo_NEW.zip
    V12_Dream_Catcher_Buffalo_NEW.zip

This is a scan of the four inch version I cut in maple veneer. The buffalo image itself needs some tweaking to assist with the contrast of the buffalo and I believe I need to tweak my laser engrave settings a bit. (My material settings for Trotec JobControl corrupted and I haven't finished re-testing the settings after I was forced to reload.)

Cut Dream Catcher.jpg

I've included a hidden layer "Unmerged Buffalo" that has the vectors prior to positioning the buffalo and using the Smart Fill Tool to create the cut vectors. This will allow the use of other images in place of the Buffalo if desired.

Thank you Jesse for sharing your work. It's given me ideas on how to create other dream catcher type projects.
    Laser: Trotec Speedy 300-80 watts
    Software: Corel Draw X6, Windows 7 64-bit, Adobe Photoshop CS5
    __________________________________________________ ___

Please, call me Ron.

Clock_Face.jpg

Here's a dream catcher idea that I threw together this afternoon (that has subsequently inspired me to make a clock). It's 10 inches in diameter and took about 6 minutes to cut (1/4 inch maple mdf veneer from Menards)

V12 Sun Arrow Moon.cdr
    V16 Sun Arrow Moon.cdr

Please, call me Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Anderson View Post
    I am having trouble with uploading the converted file to the site. They are too large.
    That's odd: usually a file saved in an older version is smaller. (My guess is, the newer versions embed a lot more header/font/whatever info that isn't necessarily applicable to the actual drawing.)

EDIT: just recalled that your file includes a bitmap...could be that the resolution was changed at some point, which could have a huge effect on file size.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-05-2013 at 6:59 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Very nice Ron....

I have a feeling i will be talking with u in the future and sharing mutual interest in idea's. I am also fairly new to Corel. Some times i feel its a up hill battle. Some time's i can throw a file together and it looks like it would be comparable to George Cloony's Dental work. Other days i throw stuff together and it looks like Richard Simmons sweating to the oldis..

Also Ron: Did u ever try to cut the feathers out ??? I cut out 4 of them and used wood glue to arrange them on the outside of my dream catcher. It looks flawless . It is now hanging in the Mayors officer here in town. I made a much larger version. 5 times bigger. So instead of the work area of 12x24. I used a work area of 60x120....

Has any one else tried to use a larger format. and do a very large project in sections ???

Sorry for the bland analogies..

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Jesse and Ron,

Jesse, thanks for posting the initial design. It's a beautiful piece.

Ron, thanks also for recreating and posting in CDR12 format, also for your second piece.

I'm just getting started with CorelDraw and a new used laser, mainly looking to do hobby projects for now, and am trying to collect ideas for design and technique. I greatly appreciate threads and files like these.

Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Anderson View Post
    Very nice Ron....

I have a feeling i will be talking with u in the future and sharing mutual interest in idea's. I am also fairly new to Corel. Some times i feel its a up hill battle. Some time's i can throw a file together and it looks like it would be comparable to George Cloony's Dental work. Other days i throw stuff together and it looks like Richard Simmons sweating to the oldis..

Also Ron: Did u ever try to cut the feathers out ??? I cut out 4 of them and used wood glue to arrange them on the outside of my dream catcher. It looks flawless . It is now hanging in the Mayors officer here in town. I made a much larger version. 5 times bigger. So instead of the work area of 12x24. I used a work area of 60x120....

Has any one else tried to use a larger format. and do a very large project in sections ???

Sorry for the bland analogies..
    Jesse,
    Do you have a picture of your larger dream catcher? It would be great if you could post it, i would love to see you work.
    Epilog Helix 60w
    Epilog Mini 18 30W
    Purex Xbase 200
    CorelDRAW X7
    Wood Carver

Dream Catcher Peace Jewelry.

Some more idea's for sawmilll Peace sign in Jewelry Format. Dream Catcher with horse. Looks Snazzy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jesse Anderson; 03-06-2013 at 10:38 PM.

I've had some questions on how to change the image in the Buffalo Dream Catcher I posted above. I've put together an instructional montage on how to change the image and rebuild the cut vectors. Please let me know if there is anything that needs clarification. Unfortunately, the file size limit on SMC is too small, so I've hosted the images on Photobucket.

Slide 01

Slide 02

Slide 03

Slide 04

Slide 05

Slide 06

Slide 07

Slide 08

Slide 09

Slide 10

Please, call me Ron.

Thank u for the extra info. This will give people an idea on how to edit these images.