Thread: curly cherry// want to get all the pzazz

curly cherry// want to get all the pzazz

just for bart..well actually its for me too i have a project coming up that will have some real nice curly cherry in it, i want to get all the pzazz i can from it. and have a semi gloss or satin final appearance, what are your suggestions? i am sure that there are some of you that use cherry alot that have it all figured out so thanks in advance.. and bart there are other's with finishing questions, its just that you type faster than we do. thanks again and am glad to see this forum jim.
    Last edited by larry merlau; 05-06-2005 at 8:59 AM.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

What kind of project you working on Larry?

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau
    just for bart..well actually its for me too i have a project coming up that will have some real nice curly cherry in it, i want to get all the pzazz i can from it. and have a semi gloss or satin final appearance, what are your suggestions? i am sure that there are some of you that use cherry alot that have it all figured out so thanks in advance.. and bart there are other's with finishing questions, its just that you type faster than we do. thanks again and am glad to see this forum jim.
    I don't know the answer to your question Larry, since I've never worked with curly cherry. But I have to respond, because not having my name at the top of the finishing forum is just unacceptable.

My finishing regimen for cherry, curly or otherwise, starts with a liberal application of BLO. Put it on...let it set for about a half hour and then wipe off any excess, disposing of the rags properly. After a few days, I often apply a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac, usually garnet, to seal and add some additional tone and clarity. (Shellac can add some sparkle to the figure, too, due to its wonderful clarity and shine) Now, if I'm just doing the oil and wax thing, I obviously skip the shellac...

At that point, what happens next depends on the project. For some things, I stop there. Shellac is a wonderful finish in itself. For others, I apply additional top coating; either WB acrylic lacquer if I'm spraying or some form of varnish if I'm wiping or brushing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used Velvit Oil, then laquer on this cradle I made with curly Cherry. The figure really popped when I oiled it, then more so with the laquer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1183

Joe
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

I have to admit that this is the first time I saw some decent curly cherry. Joe did a great job with it.

lou

Curly maple

I am making a pipe box (to put candles in) out of curly maple I got today from Curly Woods in Tx. What type of finish would you put on it to really bring out the curl? Thanks.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Here is a small Hope Chest I made from curly cherry a couple years ago. The finish was simply Minwax Antique Oil (now called Tung Oil Finish) - 3 coats (24 hrs between coats) sanded to 600 grit between coats, followed with Minwax Finishing Wax.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

real nice box ken.. wow another nice curly cherry piece

lou

Just curious, Ken, but has that chest darkened over the course of time since it was finished?

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Just curious, Ken, but has that chest darkened over the course of time since it was finished?

Karl
    OH YES as cherry normally does.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

[QUOTE=Ken Salisbury]Here is a small Hope Chest I made from curly cherry a couple years ago. The finish was simply Minwax Antique Oil (now called Tung Oil Finish) - 3 coats (24 hrs between coats) sanded to 600 grit between coats, followed with Minwax Finishing Wax.

thanks for all the input and thats another nice piece ken, i bet it really shimmers in the light.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!