9 15.25%
  • Keep a couple of each

48 81.36%
  • Sell them all,

1 1.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which size plane to keep??

Blog Entries
    I have 1 #3, 2 #4s, and 1 #4-1/2 my second #4 is a bronze with 55* frog... Came about it at an a very discounted price.
    I still need a #5-1/4 and a #5-1/2... ooh I have 2 #5s... The second #5 is set up as a scrub...
    All but my redundant banch planes have currogated Soles... I have my great grandfather to blame for that, I started with a #7c from him and had to get currogated soles to match... I guess I need a #2c as well, being that the never made a #1c im off the hook for that one. Having a redundant plane can allow for an alternate blade profile, or to always have a fresh blade when you need it for thoe last few strokes on a project.... that being said I don't see a need for more then 2 of any number... the only reason I have as many as I do is I want a full set, more as a collection then a need, but they still all get used.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    My thought would be to keep the ones that work and feel the best for you. Not sure if you want to have an eclectic mixed brand selection or if you would like to move to a single maker grouping of planes.

The other consideration might be if you need the space and want to get them gone soon or if you can hold on to them and sell them when you are interested in raising cash to purchase a higher priced tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well, I think I will bow to the Poll. I kept a couple of the #4s, and sold a couple of the #3s. Now i have two #4s on hand, and well sharpened up. I still have four number threes, but that is subject to change. Thanks for entering the Poll.SDC14503.jpgThe til just keeps a-going...