Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Lathe questions

I did do the restoration - I got the lathe when my brother-in-law passed away, so I put a lot (more than I would have normally) into it for his family. He was proud of the things he made on it.

It works great for me, but I had never turned before, so I can't really give you a good review!

I'm sure the seller looked on eBay at the big tool rest hence the premium price for that part. I have it for my old delta but its only useful for long spindle work - obviously.

I'd leave them with whatever your best offer Is and wouldn't e surprised if you get a call later. $250 for the whole package is probably fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    I'm sure the seller looked on eBay at the big tool rest hence the premium price for that part. I have it for my old delta but its only useful for long spindle work - obviously.

I'd leave them with whatever your best offer Is and wouldn't e surprised if you get a call later. $250 for the whole package is probably fair.
    The seller is a shop that works on electric motors. As a sideline they rebuild electric hand tools and have a consignment shop. This, apparently, is a lathe they picked up and restored themselves. They probably put $450 of their time into it. I've bought some smaller stuff from them before and their good guys. Without the legs it's not worth making an offer right now -- maybe later.

Now that I'm looking at lathes, I found a Delta 1460, all original with motor and stand and some tools. The guy's asking $350 obo. It's a little drive, but my cousin lives in the same town and I can get him to take a look at it. I think it's a little more heavy duty.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

John, looking at the picture of the lathe that is for sale, there are 2 banjos that are not the same as mine, which mine is a 1955 model. Those are on the 46-450 and earlier Delta Milwaukee Rockwell's. I think they are about $100+ to replace if someone is willing to part with one.. Also mentioned previously, the lock lever for the quill is missing. That needs to be added as the quill pressure will cause the quill screw to strip or break the threads on the retainer near the handle. Been there, done that. The only way to fix that is to replace the tail stock.... Go back to those guys and tell them that, offer 300, and if they sell it to you, you can sell one banjo and that long tool rest for $200+ to someone looking for those items, and your final price will be $150. Problem solved..... Jerry (in Tucson)

What Jerry proposes is an option, for sure. But I will say that I think the lathe is way overpriced. Mine WITH the cast iron legs and 1 hp motor was still hard to sell at $275. I couldn't sell it for $300... I think I sold it for $225 with the original 1/3 or 1/2 hp motor...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Yeah, just brought my 3rd chuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    1)

The last thing you should know (well, not the last thing, but the last thing I'll mention) is that purchasing this lathe is the CHEAPEST part of turning. You'll need tools, a chuck (or 6 if you are me), faceplates, etc, etc, etc. BTW, welcome to our addiction!

7. John, you might check on OWWM.org for parts availability and recent pricing. Second, budget some funds for a couple of lessons from the local woodturning club. Lessons will make your experience much more enjoyable.

Tom, in Douglasville, so happy he took lessons from Bill Berry, resident professor of woodturning in Houston.
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.