Thread: Powermatic PM2000, would you buy again?

Powermatic PM2000, would you buy again?

I am fixing to buy the Powermatic PM2000 30" 3 hp and I wanted to see if anyone who bought one in the last couple of years had issues with it to make them regret buying it. Powermatic is running a special through March 11th for 15% off and I am upgrading from an old 80's sears craftsman. I looked at the Grizzly 690, Jet, and Sawstop but really like the PM, I have their jointer and had a scroll saw and they are bullet proof so I am looking for some input.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Personally I'm happy with all my Powermatic tools. 2 tablesaws, drill press, 4224 lathe and a few more. I don't think you could go wrong IMHO.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have had mine for several years now. I love it. I moved up from a Delta CS. I've not had any issues at all. It works great, is very heavy, etc. I've been so pleased that it has been flawless given what I paid for it. A rare experience these days. I can't come up with any negatives. Blade changes are easy. The fence is solid, straight, etc. The cranks feel solid and respond well. The casters are great. One thing I will poitn out is that it takes many turns to extend the casters (force multiplication?), but I don't move it often, so that isn't a biggie to me. I'm not anal about dust collection, so it works fine for me. It was pretty easy to assemble. It makes very nice cuts with a Forest blade. Enjoy!

Tony

I had a PM2000, GREAT saw, for a cabinet saw it's top notch. I did have one issue with mine. The mobility mechanism broke, there was a gear that had stripped out to raise and lower the machine, was a fairly easy fix.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

6 yrs now... the caster system was a good idea, poorly executed, but u can buy a "mover" if you plan to move a lot, so small detail. The blade guard is OK at best, no dust port to allow for overhead dust collection. Bade change set up is well designed. Excellent power, FLAT table (might just be mine though) For a cabinet saw, it's pretty solid built like most all Powermatic tools. My only suggestions of alternatives would be... sawstop if safety is a big issue for you, or others that might use your saw... or one of the mini sliders if your budget is a big larger. IMO, the basic cabinet saw is slowing falling out-of-fashion as the mini sliders offer so much more versatility and ease of use. This of course assumes you will not be cutting very small pieces, where the slider does not offer anymore convienece or accuracy than a high quality miter gauge. If I was buying new today, it would definitely be a mini slider.... Prob. a Hammer.

I replaced a General 650 with a Hammer B3 Winner.

As nice as the Powermatic is, you couldn't convince me to go back to a cabinet saw.

As Will mentioned, look at the Hammer K3 promotions Felder is running in the US..............Regards, Rod.

I've had mine about 6 years too and love it. I really appreciate the smoothness and accuracy after using a contractor saw for 15 years. I'll echo the comments about it needing a lot of turns to raise/lower the saw, but that's a non issue for me now that I've moved to a larger shop. I have the wooden extension table to the right and find it to be quite useful. However, the vice on the end is kind of weak so I don't use it very much. I did add a shark guard so I have pretty effective dust collection above and below the blade. If I had it to do again, I'd probably make the same choice. But I would also look at the Saw Stop as well just for the added safety aspect.

Research belt, motor, and mobility issues on the PM2000. Just be aware of what some folks have experienced.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've had a PM2000 for about 9 years. Maybe I'm the only one, but I've had issues:

The little tab that acts as an arbor lock for blade changes has broken twice (new parts both times). I gave up on it and went back to the wrench-and-stick method. (that tab is way under-engineered, IMHO)

The dust collection set-up is annoying. You can collect dust at the blade OR out of the bottom of the cabinet, but not both. Both would be better.

I also had a switch go bad, but it may have just been my unit.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would have bought a 66 instead.

I've had mine for 2 years now and it gets light use as I'm a hobbyist. Not a single issue though, runs like the day it was new. Quiet, smooth and powerful. Dust collection is ok as it is with most cabinet saws. Invest in some overblade coillection. The riving knife assembly is first rate. I have had no issues with either the caster assembly or the arbor lock, both work as new. The fence is first rate though the miter gauge is about what you expect. I've added an Incra SE1000 miter gauge.

No complaints and I would make this purchase again.

I had a PM2000 for secveral years and while it is a very gfood table saw, I went to the SawStop. I think the SawStop is a better saw all around plus there is the brake thing. I also got SawStops hydraulic mobile base which should embarras everyone else who makes mobile bases. the thing floatst he saw around my shop and sets it down rock solid without ever bending over. I love it!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"