Thread: Rust prevention - Metalophilic oil?

Rust prevention - Metalophilic oil?

Hello,

I found some Beeman MP-5 Metalophilic oil used to inhibit rust in air-rifles that I had lying around from my air-rifle days...

It is supposed to be safe for wood.

I guess the only question is whether or not the oil would interfere with finishing the wood.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of product used for hand tools?

Thanks!
    Brian

Their website says it's safe to use on wood, but leaves a hard film when it dries.

It seems unlikely that you'll get anything to stick to a surface like that.
    I have to wonder if a test piece, buffed when dry will tell you what you need to know.

My guess is that this has some sort of solvent as a carrier, and it's likely to be a silicon derivative.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/652...il-4-oz-liquid

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have experience with this kind of product used for hand tools?
    None what so ever. Does it have any animal or vegetable oils that may have gone rancid?

Your best bet may be to spread some on wood and see how much it affects your favorite stains and finishes.

Unless you have a very large supply you will likely empty a small container of this stuff fairly quickly.

Edited out use on stones since Jim M. pointed out that it is an oil that dries to a film.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-25-2013 at 8:49 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't know what Beeman oil is made from, but I have used it for my airguns. The thing about airguns is that petroleum-based lubricants or other types of flammable products cannot be used in interior parts where there are high pressures because the lube will ignite causing the gun to "diesel" and damage the gun. So I know it is not hydrocarbon. Perhaps silicon-based.

Stan

I collect air guns. I have air gun oil. It is SILICON based so it won't "diesel". NOT something you should turn loose in your shop since it will cause huge cratering in finishes.

I'm not sure if all air gun oil is silicon based,but it very well may be due to the diesel effect that normal oils have,blowing out seals in the guns. Don't take chances. Buy a can of normal oil.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'll try it on a scrap piece but I figure it won't be good.

I was just cleaning up my spare room to use as a workshop and found this old bottle of rust inhibitor.

Thanks again!
    Brian

By the way: on very powerful air guns,the silicon based oil diesels anyway!