Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many shills lately...

Blog Entries

So many shills lately...

I've flagged several post(ers) lately for being shills... flogging their webpage for no reason other than to get their ranking higher on Google. One way to identify them is to look at the date of the thread they're posting on. It's quite common for a 5+ year old thread to be bumped just so their post seems relevant, but the attached link is only tied to the subject in a very tangential form. The poster is almost always a newbie with 0 posts before the linking began. Similar posts will also be made in multiple threads and multiple forums.

Be on the lookout for such junk and PLEASE flag it so the mods can remove not only the offending post, but the poster's account as well.

Help keep The Creek a clean place to swim!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yeah, one just south of here. I flagged it. Not a big fan of that stuff!

Blog Entries
    Oh, the wiring one? Yeah, I flagged it, too, which is what prompted me to write this post. I got rid of some guy a couple of days ago posting in the Corian threads.

We certainly appreciate the help. During our Tenth Anniversary Celebration new registrations were exceptionally high which means we also allowed some to register whose intentions were to simply acquire free advertising and web site promotion.

Over the course of the average day I review new registrations at least three times. Over the last three months I have been deleting at least 30% during each review so its a big job when literally thousands of people are registering every month. Currently we are averaging about 150 new registrations per day so activity is getting close to normal again.

I would love to share some of the email we receive from Mickey Mouse, Wood Butcher and a host of other usernames that are X rated but it would violate our Terms of Service. Keeping bad people away from this Community is a very big job

Well I have to say I've been ignorant of the amount of work that is necessary to keep the forum going. So just want to extend a big THANKS to Keith and others that put in the work to keep SMC the best woodworking site around.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Dan, I guess its OK for you to link your webpage?? Isn't that the same thing?

He pays the creek to do that.

Thanks David, now I see. Sorry Dan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKBRtdp2e98

Keith, please know your efforts are vastly appreciated. Patrick

Blog Entries
    Pat,

The major difference between them and others here is this... we're here to share ideas, they're here strictly to pawn goods (that often times have nothing to do with the subject at hand). If I wanted random ads for things I don't care about, I'd buy a Sunday newspaper.

I love The Jerk!!

Dan...thanks for sharing that info. I rarely pay attention to the date a thread was started, but I will from now on and will try to remember to flag it.

And...Keith, thanks for your tireless efforts. Although we don't say it often enough, you are appreciated!

joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I've flagged several post(ers) lately for being shills... flogging their webpage for no reason other than to get their ranking higher on Google. One way to identify them is to look at the date of the thread they're posting on. It's quite common for a 5+ year old thread to be bumped just so their post seems relevant, but the attached link is only tied to the subject in a very tangential form. The poster is almost always a newbie with 0 posts before the linking began. Similar posts will also be made in multiple threads and multiple forums.

Be on the lookout for such junk and PLEASE flag it so the mods can remove not only the offending post, but the poster's account as well.

Help keep The Creek a clean place to swim!
    I have to admit I am not very forum savvy and don't know how to flag a post. I immediately catch the dates on the posts but didn't realize it was for nefarious reasons. Can anyone help educate me on how to identify that they are promoting themselves somehow? And then how to flag the post?

I'm flagging this thread; the original poster only has 8500 posts, so obviously he's up to sumpin.

Stephen.........a link to commercial website.....the website doesn't add to the main topic of discussion.....the member posting it is an extremely new member and often has a foreign IP provider in a place like Pakistan...it's generally a spammer.

In the lower left corner of any post is a triangular icon....click on it to report a post...fill out the form and submit it. The appropriate Moderators wil be informed and the report will start a thread in the Moderator's Forum.