Thread: Ill Conceived Hand Tools

Ill Conceived Hand Tools

I found the below monstrosity on Jim Bode's site. I'm sure history has no shortage of poorly thought out inventions or good intentions gone very wrong, but boy howdy this thing has got to be reasonably far up that list.

image.jpg

The only thing out of place on that tool is the plane. Many roofers used a hatchet/axe that was a hammer and had the slot for pulling nails. These were especially handy when doing cedar shake roofing.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I don't see it as a monstrosity at all.

Actually, along with the other uses for cedar shingle roofing, you need a block plane to weave the corners on a cedar shingle sidewall. That looks like a particularly unhandy method of doing so, but the idea was presumably to cut down on the tools in your belt and the combination is not as far fetched as it would seem.

Does it come in O1?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Does it come in O1?
    Comes in aluminum, white metal, and recast banjo tone ring metal.

the odd thing is that it seems hardly used ...

Clearly I haven't done enough (any) roofing work. At first blush, that thing looked to me like an excellent way to end up putting holes in yourself. Apparently I'm missing out.

Jared, Are you suggesting that you've missed out on putting holes in yourself? Personally, I've never had any problem myself. The problem has always been to AVOID putting holes in myself.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

What makes the box and pamphlet great is they're in exactly the style TFWW used for their 2012 catalog.

Looks like Joel and his team nailed it.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I'm with the guys in that I can see some utility in this, Jared, but I can't imagine wanting one, even if I did much shingling. I've always been amused by the chisel rasp:

4105SFDPG4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Looks like I could do some serious damage to myself with one of those. However, my favorite ill-conceived tool is this one:

Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Blog Entries
    I always hated when the framers used framing hatchets. They would lift framing members by sinking the blade into the stock. Nothing would end up square, plumb, and true.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Haha! Daniel, you're full of funny references these days. I love scrubs!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Ill conceived tools of yesteryear are the ones that go for big money now.
    Where did I put that tape measure...