Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost done with my saw till

Quote Originally Posted by jason thigpen View Post
    They are the Veritas saws. Both a crosscut and dovetail. They were my first small joinery saws. I love them. They both cut a very clean kerf and are easy to start. And of course, the price is very attractive. I would highly recommend them.

As far as that miter box saw goes, here are some pics. You can see the old handle next to the new one. The hardware was chromed I think. I stripped everything down with a wire wheel and used gun blue to darken the metal. I think it goes well with the rest of the saw.
    Damn Jason. You did a pretty sweet makeover on that bad boy!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Saw Till

photo copy 2.jpgphoto copy 3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jason thigpen View Post
    Nice looking till, Keith! I do believe yours is one of the ones I ran across while researching. Do you have a close up pic of the hanging arrangement for your smaller saws? I still haven't quite figured out how I want to set mine up.

Here's a couple of cellphone photos that should enough detail. I made a simple U-shaped bracket. It's attached with screws from the back. It works well enough, but the saws that fit into the slots in the top are almost vertical and some of the shorter saws don't reach the top slots and just rest on the back. I'll be interested to see your solution.

Thanks for the pics Keith. Definitely helps point me in the right direction.
    I do have quite a few antler scraps laying around. They would make a sweet drawer pull! Or even a hanger for my coping saws.
    Lots of new ideas to process now. Thanks guys!

100_1041.jpg

This is mine -- finished it a couple of weeks ago. Gave me some practice with dovetails and was fun.

Dan

Nice job Dan! You sure filled it up quickly!!

I had to build it; just to have a place to put them where I could get to the one I wanted. Seems like the saw I needes as always the on three deep on the hook. I also made a set of drawers for my table saw blades to get them off the of hooks as well. I am slowly upgrading what I have and getting rid of the plastic handle ones.

Very nice, I am in the middle of designing a saw till and was thinking of hanging the back saws with the panel saws stored like you have done. After seeing yours I may reconsider.

Cheers Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Blog Entries
    Nice job!
    Unfortunately I am in the same boat as Dave Anderson, my collection of hand saws will require a little more space. I say it will because I still do not have all my "restores" in working order yet. I hope to end up with 6 or more hand saws in various: lengths, tooth configurations, plate steel ... and 3-4 back/halfback saws. I will probably have a dozen or so that want get used regularly as they were bought cheap and have various issues. I may need two storage areas anyway as I work in two different buildings on 12 acres. I have a home business. Maybe something a little larger but nice for my shop and something a little rougher for overflow and lesser saws to be housed at my business building where most of the work is rougher. I am thinking about more of a cabinet with front doors that will keep the dust off my saws.

I am also thinking about a carrying box, like carpenters use to use, to hold good saws. I have seen some very nice carpenters boxes. Something that could hold a few saws, a block plane, brace, square, a couple decent chisels....A mobile hand tool collection for construction & cabinet installation jobs.

Do what makes sense for you in your shop. What others do is not all that important. You might get some ideas from other, but you have to work in your shop, not someone else and if it does not make your shop time more enjoyable, then do something else that will.