Thread: Joining table top to the base

Joining table top to the base

I am making a pedestal table out of walnut. The top and base are completed, now I need to attach them. I plan on taking the table with me on our annual fishing trip to Canada, so I need the top to be removable, with the ability to reassemble it every year. My first attempt at this was to attach a square block to the underside of the table. Then I used four latches (one on each face) to secure it to the square base (same size as the block). This works, but there is more "play" in this design than I had hoped for. Any ideas out there?

Any chance for a picture or two of what there is to work with?

I've never failed to find a solution using the standard "z-clips".

One of about 9,000 sources for the clips:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...4&site=ROCKLER

But - the real issue: What kind of fishing trip do you make that warrants bringing a custom walnut table, and can I go with you????? To paraphrase Paladin: Have gear, will travel. This oughta be good. It is exactly the right time for the early-season walleye madhouse in Canada.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Agree a picture would make this easier. Threaded inserts in the top and machine screws through the supporting structure?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I did my table last year I had 4 bolts threaded into the top of the pedestal that protruded thru a 3/4" piece of plywood that was fastened to the table slides, tightened down with washer n nuts. These could be replaced with wing nuts. If your table doesnt open you could thread 4 bolts into the underside of the table n have them protrude thru a plate mounted to the top of your pedestal tighten down with lock washers n wing nuts.

If the play is sideways and not up and down you may be able to index the with top with dowel pins in the top of the apron and part way into the top. The latches could be positioned to pull the top down tight to the aprons. Small blocks could also be attached to the top to bare against the the aprons to position the top and keep it from sliding around.
    Bill