Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Tom vs Garmin

Tom Tom vs Garmin

Still have my Tom Tom GPS. Purchased it 6 or 7 years ago???? when GPS were the big item for Christmas. Works great and like it a lot. But the maps are out dated and the price of new maps is close to a new GPS with free lifetime updates My first thought is to get new Tom Tom but reviews are not as good as I would like to see. I know Garmin is very well liked.
    My question is for owners who has used Garmin AND Tom Tom. What difference (if any) will I see being a long time Tom Tom user going to a new Garmin?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Your new Garmin will be much more user friendly than the Tom Tom and most new Nuvi models can be programmed from your computer with routes and waypoints.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I live in the UK. and have a Tom Tom 1005 version 2 I have used it for 2 moths and been very happy If you decide to purchase this model you need to exercise care because there are 2 versions and the version 2 has a larger memory card

regards Brian

A little over 2 years ago I bought a top-of-the-line Garmin. Used it until I bought my first car with GPS. I was pretty happy with it. It wasn't perfect, but I understand that none of them are. My research at the time led me to Garmin. I take Consumer Reports and their test labs also came up with Garmin as the better GPS. When you look at the top GPS buys, CR rates about 6 or 7 before they even get to TOM TOM.

Forgot to add, that Consumer Report test was 2012

I have used both and it is all about small differences. Bigger screen, different graphics, how you are notified for the next turn etc. In the end they both will get you there. The free map updates are worth extra cost
    Last edited by Brian Libby; 02-24-2013 at 8:17 AM.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Well, maybe I'm biased because I've been using Garmin for many years, including aviation GPS products. I really dislike Tom Tom. I think Garmin is just a more professional and grown-up system. We have the Tom Tom app on the iPhone, and the interface is sooooo bad that we never use it. The Garmin interface is clean and simple.

Our daughter bought Tom Tom and Garmin the same day to compare them.
    Neither one of us cared for the Tom Tom. Just wasn't as fluid to use as the Garmin.
    She took Tommy back to the store.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I have had the Garmin Nuvi for several years and I love it. Just bought a GMC Denali with a navigation screen and I really dislike that, would much rather use the Garmin even with it's smaller screen. Now I rode in a F-150 with Sync, that had really cool navigation graphics, way beyond Garmin or GMC navigation. A co-rider said he has a Chrysler and it's navigation is patterned after Garmin. A friend had Tom-Tom, and it is So-So.

i am on my second Garmin nuvi, gave my 1st one to brother, had to buy new cord. we tried to update the old garmin but would have to put new memory card in it because there was not enough space to downlode the new maps, was disappointed in that reguard , but did not consider other makers, like the garmin, and the new cheaper model has a larger screen with bigger lettering than the old model, plan to take it out west this spring, airplane then rent a car, taking atlas but love the garmin for actually getting around

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    we tried to update the old garmin but would have to put new memory card in it because there was not enough space to downlode the new maps,
    If you plug it into your computer you can search through the directories and delete the 47 languages and extra vehicle icons you never use and you should have enough memory for the new maps.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I really like the Garmin, have never used the Tom Tom. The wife's German car has a built in GPS, I think it's sourced from Siemens or Bosch and it's a joke compared to the interface on the Garmin...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    I really like the Garmin, have never used the Tom Tom. The wife's German car has a built in GPS, I think it's sourced from Siemens or Bosch and it's a joke compared to the interface on the Garmin...
    I can't think of a worse place to put money in a car than in the navigation system. It's effectively about 10x as expensive as a garmin GPS. At least the last time I looked it was a $2000 upcharge on a new accord to get the navigation. I can only think people even bite on that stuff because they're looking at payment amounts instead of price and in the back of their head is either a twisted perception of the usefulness of a small-market large dollar GPS vs. a large market (meaning more money for R&D and thoughts about efficiency) small dollar GPS.

A car loaded with stuff like that depreciates so much faster than one that doesn't. I learned that lesson (without the GPS being involved, even when I had money to burn it still made no sense to me) the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I can't think of a worse place to put money in a car than in the navigation system. It's effectively about 10x as expensive as a garmin GPS. At least the last time I looked it was a $2000 upcharge on a new accord to get the navigation. I can only think people even bite on that stuff because they're looking at payment amounts instead of price and in the back of their head is either a twisted perception of the usefulness of a small-market large dollar GPS vs. a large market (meaning more money for R&D and thoughts about efficiency) small dollar GPS.

A car loaded with stuff like that depreciates so much faster than one that doesn't. I learned that lesson (without the GPS being involved, even when I had money to burn it still made no sense to me) the hard way.
    Trust me you are preaching to the choir here... The car in question only came with the GPS installed, I personally would much rather have the Garmin.. Plus one can move it from car to car, cannot do that with the factory GPS..

Yeah, sorry Robert, I quoted that but I intended only to reply as I wasn't trying to single out your car or your post. Just a general thought on the NAV. The disparity between the car navs and the handhelds was a lot greater when they were all brand new (15 years ago?) and the cars has huge screens and the portable navs had tiny tiny screens.