Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sawstop zero clearance insert

Does this fit on the earlier versions of SS (mine is an original ICS) WITHOUT the tool-less throat plate? (mine screws on)

Yes. They will fit both newer and older style machines.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Does this fit on the earlier versions of SS (mine is an original ICS) WITHOUT the tool-less throat plate? (mine screws on)

Blog Entries
    I made my own ZCI from a blank throat plate. I used a router to mill out a rectangular space and then used a dovetail bit to undercut it. Using the same dovetail bit, I made my oak inserts. The nice thing about using the SS throat plate is you get that spiffy locker downer thing at the front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    The OEM Sawstop insert has clearance for the 10 inch blade to be started without interference. The Infinity does not. Of course there are work-arounds as I said, but wouldnt you expect better manufacturing tolerances for this price tag?
    Ah, good info. I did not realize the stock inserts would clear. I agree that is the OEM can do it and aftermarket should as well ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Another way to get around the clearance issue is to put the original throat plate on, line up the ZCI plate on the original plate... it helps to lower the original plate somewhat by backing off the adjustment screws, that way, it sinks in the opening somewhat allwowing you to line up the ZCI on top of the original throat plate.

Next, use a board long enough to span the width of the saw (front to back) as a caul, set it on top of the ZCI and use a couple of clamps at each end to hold the zci in place as you raise the blade.

Here are 2 pics showing the blade fully raised and also the clearance indents pre-cut from the manufacturer. I must say I am impressed with the product. I added some foam dots to prevent scratches to my table top when changing blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old thread, but I can't seem to find any others on the Infinity inserts for the PCS. I'll be ordering the PCS Thursday, and am wondering about which way to go: $40 a pop for the SS inserts, or $100 for the Infinity with several slide-in inserts. Anybody using the current iteration of these things?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Old thread, but I can't seem to find any others on the Infinity inserts for the PCS. I'll be ordering the PCS Thursday, and am wondering about which way to go: $40 a pop for the SS inserts, or $100 for the Infinity with several slide-in inserts. Anybody using the current iteration of these things?
    I do have the latest and I have had one since I got my SawStop a couple years ago. They are very nicely made but I honestly didnt end up needing the functionality of swapping inserts as often as I thought I would. Its really only useful IMO if you do A LOT of dado cutting on your table saw AND you are constantly changing widths AND you absolutely need a perfectly cut ZCI for every width dado you cut. You only really need one ZCI cut for a full kerf blade so that ZCI just hangs out. Then you really have to figure how many dado ZCIs you really need/use. I actually found that most of the time cutting dados with my router on a track rail is necessary and sometimes much easier and safer. So I hardly ever change the inserts in the Infinity ZCI.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Good info, Ben, thanks. Think I'll just make do with the stock ZCI for the time being. Bank account is gonna be a little tender for a while.

Blog Entries
    I designed a throat plate with a replaceable wood insert and had a friend machine it out of aluminum jig plate for my Craftsman Table saw. The inserts are made from 1/4" thick maple from scrap and I can reuse them for dado or bevel angle set ups. My insert was made so that the saw blade can be lowered enough so that I can make a clean cut up through any new insert.platetop.jpgplatebottom.jpgtop & bottom.jpg

I don't see that it would be too difficult to design one for a saw stop. Any one with a decent CNC machine set up should be able to machine one precisely enough to work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice looking insert, Lee. Unfortunately, I don't know any machinists.

Good info, Ben, thanks. Think I'll just make do with the stock ZCI for the time being. Bank account is gonna be a little tender for a while.
    Yea Id suggest putting that money into another high quality blade at first and get the Infinity ZCI later if you decided youd really use it.
    Also note that you cant really switch back and forth between the SawStop ZCI and the Infinity since you have to adjust the leveling screws differently for each. So it really is one or the other.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I think I'm covered on blades. My present saw is the SS Jobsite, and I've been using a couple of Woodworker II blades on that, one regular and one thin kerf (they're both now at Dynamic Saw being resharpened). I mostly use the regular kerf blade except on the rare occasion that I need to rip thick stock. I'm getting the 1.75 hp PCS, same rated horsepower as the Jobsite, so I may still need the thin kerf blade occasionally. It's a good blade, but I think I do notice some deflection with it at times.

Just waiting for the calendar to flip over to March so I can get the SS promotion...

Blog Entries
    Nice looking insert, Lee. Unfortunately, I don't know any machinists.
    There has to be a few machine shops in Central Missouri and probably one or two retired machinists that wouldn't charge and arm and a leg for making you one. Your first step is to design the piece you need with a dimensioned drawing. Once you have the design, finding a place to make it is the easy part. There are probably a few guys at SMC with the capability. Since you are a contributor, you could advertise right in the classifieds section for quotes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks, Lee, I might just try that once I have the saw.