Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sawstop zero clearance insert

sawstop zero clearance insert

anyone use those - zero clearance inserts from infinity cutting tools - http://www.infinitytools.com/SawStop...tinfo/100-335/

I was thinking of getting it, but was hoping to hear some unbiased reviews.

thanks.

Pros:
    Accepts inserts that can accommodate up to afull stack dado set.
    Cheaper to make several inserts than to buy additional throat plates for each blade (or width of dado) you need.
    Made of anodized aluminum, nicely finished.
    Will accept the SS handle on the newer version of throat plates (and locks down).
    Will not trip the brake (I have used it fora couple of months).

Cons:
    Expensive up front, but will pay for itself over time (you won’t ever need another throat plate).
    You will have to use the metal lockdown off ofthe OEM throat plate and a couple of
    screws that aren’t included (they will not supply them despite a call to the company).

Overall, I like it and it is the only one I have heard of that works on SawStop table saws.
    Last edited by Kevin Womer; 02-22-2013 at 3:00 PM. Reason: Error

thanks....

Here is my frustrating Infinity ZCI story for my Sawstop ICS: the first plate rhat was shipped would not allow blade clearance at full height and/or full blade tilt. Plus, at zero blade height (full down), the blade hit the insert so there was no way to safely cut the kerf. The blade would be touching the insert when the saw would be started.

Infinity said the plate was defective and offered to send a replacement. New plate arrived yesterday and the throat is now large enough that it no longer cpnflicts with the blade. Thats the good news. The bad news is that the blade still hits the insert, so there is still no safe way to make the first kerf cut. I will find a workaround, but for what I paid for the plate you would certainly expect better machining.

So as of now i cannot re ommend his product. Maybe Infinity will re-tool for the Sawstop and eventually get it right. If anypne has a better experience, please let me know.

Clay, can't you shave a bit off at the middle where the tip of the blade is hitting, using a router bit or a drill (at drill press)? I know it's not perfect but perhaps will fix your issue.

Absolutely agreed with everything what Kevin said. Plus has same experience with blade hits the insert.
    I made plenty insert from hardwood and made a first cut with router bit.

Ed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Fails View Post
    The bad news is that the blade still hits the insert, so there is still no safe way to make the first kerf cut. I will find a workaround, but for what I paid for the plate you would certainly expect better machining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Plus has same experience with blade hits the insert. I made plenty insert from hardwood and made a first cut with router bit. Ed.
    This is true of any insert, shop made or commercial, that I have had experience with. The saw doesn't lower the blade enough to clear. I put a smaller blade on and raise it till I can just see it start to penetrate, then swap for the standard blade. The maker cannot mill the insert to leave just a paper thin surface since the exact location of blade exit is not known. That would mean a great portion of the insert would be paper thin as they would have to make this area large enough to compensate for the blade to throat opening variations, even on the same model saw.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-22-2013 at 9:16 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

But you can't do that on a SS since you can't run a smaller blade. MAYBE an 8" blade with a dado brake. But then you also have to worry about if its the right width.

Matt - could you use a 1/8 dado blade and dado brake then use 1/8 10" blades and regular brake?

So far I have just used the sawstop mfg inserts.

I
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Maybe--not sure if you can run just an one of the outer blades with that brake?

I'm hoping theres an easy way--I want one of these inserts.

I did not have the issue of the blade hitting the insert, but I did level the plate to the table top prior to cutting through the insert (this might help?). Sometimes the insert will slide forward just a little bit, but I see they have a solution to that problem on the attachment above by Kevin G. They now allow for two screws to be placed through the plate on the bottom into the insert on each side. Mine is an older plate without this modification, which might explain the blade hitting the bottom of the insert mentioned by others. It is a good idea. I believe I will drill and tap mine to help keep the insert in place. I will also mention to others I have not tried any bevel cuts yet with this plate, so be forwarned to check for clearance prior to turning the saw on to prevent accidental brake activation.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This is true of any insert, shop made or commercial, that I have had experience with. The saw doesn't lower the blade enough to clear. I put a smaller blade on and raise it till I can just see it start to penetrate, then swap for the standard blade. The maker cannot mill the insert to leave just a paper thin surface since the exact location of blade exit is not known. That would mean a great portion of the insert would be paper thin as they would have to make this area large enough to compensate for the blade to throat opening variations, even on the same model saw.
    The OEM Sawstop insert has clearance for the 10 inch blade to be started without interference. The Infinity does not. Of course there are work-arounds as I said, but wouldnt you expect better manufacturing tolerances for this price tag?

I've had their first two versions. The second version was pretty good except when the blade was raised to the hightest position. There isn't much clearance and it just about cuts the sacrificial wood in half.

I should be getting their new and improved version any day now.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

I have the original version. I see that they added a hole to make it easier to get off. I just cut it by holding the front up off the blade (with blade fully lowered) and lower it onto the blade after it starts.
    JR

I have installed the latest (3rd?) version and it works perfectly in my ICS. I am able to fully raise the blade without any issues. The inserts now come with indents to give clearance for 10" blades before making your own kerf. The fit and finish is superb. I highly recommend this upgrade. Just make sure you order the latest version with all of the kinks worked out.