View Poll Results: If you bought a new table saw, what brand/type it is and when you bought it?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought a Grizzly in or after 2006

40 14.65%
  • I bought a Unisaw in or after 2006

17 6.23%
  • I bought a slider in or after 2006

38 13.92%
  • I bought a Sawstop in or after 2006

62 22.71%
  • I bought a non-sawstop tablesaw before 2006 but would buy a Sawstop if I had to buy today.

51 18.68%
  • I bought a tabelsaw (not slider/sawstop) before 2006 and would not buy a Sawstop today.

65 23.81%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: what brand of table saw you bought

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alden Miller View Post
    Larry, your tag line "There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't." cracks me up!
    -Alden
    Well, you obviously fall into the 1st group.
    I'm waiting for the response that says "Oh Yeah, what about the other 8?"
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-22-2013 at 2:11 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I can understand that maybe a contractors saw meets your needs and you can't justify a more expensive saw, but you actually wouldn't trade your TS3650 for a slider or a cabinet saw?! That seems incredible; explain.
    I've used sliders since the early 80's so I'm no stranger to them. They are fine for sheet goods but For me they aren't as versatile as I need them to be. Remember it's not the tool that makes the project!

I also need my saw to be mobile as I sometimes do other things in my shop such as car repair on the side. I could probably rig up a cabinet saw on a mobile base but what benefit am I really getting from a cabinet saw that my TS3650 doesn't already do for me? I would actually lose storage space by going to a cabinet saw. Dust collection wouldn't be any better.

A slider takes up to much space. If I were to get a slider in no way would I settle for less than 10' rip capacity on the slider. Then I would need another way to do my dados. I would also lose part of my outfeed table that I use for an assembly bench.

As far as not trading for a cabinet saw that is true as it's not worth it to me. I use to cut on a cabinet saw for 10 hours a day 5 days a week for about 8 years and theres nothing a cabinet saw has to offer that my contractor saw can't do also. Period. Now if a contractor sawstop came my way I would trade my TS3650 in a heart beat but never for a lesser saw from manufactures that can't be innovative and cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    I use to cut on a cabinet saw for 10 hours a day 5 days a week for about 8 years and theres nothing a cabinet saw has to offer that my contractor saw can't do also. Period.
    Ripping 3" of oak?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post

. Then I would need another way to do my dados.

Or you could do what we do and order your slider with dado capability............Rod.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Ripping 3" of oak?
    Bandsaw will take care of that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Or you could do what we do and order your slider with dado capability............Rod.
    And now we are talking more money and I still wouldn't have the mobility of my current saw.

Hate to say it guys but sliders aren't the be all end all.

I bought a grizzly slider - do I get to vote twice?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    You are right Mike that many woodworkers (and in particular many pro woodworkers) do not participate on forums and this sample is a very very small group of people.
    Honestly my targeted audience here was not those who have bought a craftsman contractor in 1970's or buy a $100 Ryobi job site saw at homedepot. It was mostly those who buy a
    serious (like a cabinet) saw at a tool store, AND in particular those who have bought in the past few years.

Thanks to all who participated in this poll.
    I hear ya for sure. I really like seeing this poll too. Thanks again. You have some great posts that I find very educational but most of all I enjoy reading them.

And thanks to everyone who posts here and at woodnet.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks Mike, like many others, I learn a lot as well.

Blog Entries
    Mreza,

Are you planning on buying a new table saw? Which saw are you leaning towards buying and why?

PHM

I have have upgraded my table saw twice and I am hoping this 3rd saw is my last one (a ICS sawstop).

I am proud owner of a pre-owned 1998 Powermatic 66 in 2005. It has been my quest saw for many years. It cuts perfectly. With overhead Excaliber blade guard/dust extracter, I feel very safe operating the PM66. Sorry SawStop! No future buyer here!

~~Chip~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have a Ridgid TS3650 and a couple Skil tablesaws for building birdhouses and I am happy with them . I am not interested in sawstop whatsoever .

In 2002 I bought a PM 66, which I was fine with until my wife had an accident with it. After she got back from the hospital, she wanted the PM gone and a sawstop in it's place. So I now have a SS, which I have to say I like better than the PM. I think the mobile base, dust collection/guard, and the riving knife are definite improvements. I moved my Jessum slider from the PM to the SS. Works just fine.

I purchased my Bridgewood 10" left tilt cabinet saw about 8 years ago and put a Delta guard, riving knife, Incra fence on it. Absolutely love it. Have looked at the SS and am impressed with the build quality but the prices are just too high. I think a properly equipped and calibrated "normal" cabinet saw can be almost as safe as the SS, at least for my personal usage.