Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Haul [er] gloat

Wood Haul [er] gloat

Just adding to my capabilities to collect turning wood.........since I put my cap back on my pickup, it is just such a pain to take on and off and reseal every time......size..... 5 ft X 10 ft. Got it this morning.

IMGP3880.jpgIMGP3881.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That looks a lot like mine. I added expanded metal to the sides with some nuts, bolts and fender washers to further insure that I don't loose any hard earned pieces of wood out the sides. It'll serve you well!

Roger,

You going to add an electric winch to the front to help pull stuff up on so you do not need to lift the larger stuff?

Lloyd

Way to go. I have cover on the back of my truck and it is easy to take off and on but I prefer to us a trailer most of the time.
    Fred

That will haul some wood. Very similar to mine. Congrats Roger.

Mine looks like that too. It gets used all the time for bringing home wood. Congrats.

Nice Roger. Go take a look at Jeff Nicol's "urban wood hauler" to take it up a notch. I'd love to have one of these, but I do have a good friend with one, so that's good for now.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks everyone! I just got in from one of our club meetings........just now have time to reply. I like the idea of a winch for larger stuff....of course, I have one on my 4 wheeler, but one on the trailer might be a good way to go with a pair of logging tongs to grab hold.....hummmm.........got me thinking now!

I've got one of these...it works good enough with my tilt-bed trailer. Also have used it to jump start my dead battery a couple times.

http://www.polarispartsplus.com/page...logFilter5ID=0
    Last edited by Aric Krueger; 02-20-2013 at 7:28 AM.

Looks like the same one I have Roger. It will be a wood hauler for ya.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Here's a link to video on Jeff Nichols' Urban Log Hauler, pretty slick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFM2_OM_eA

It sounds like you all have the same trailer. Where did you buy it?

Thanks,
    Dave

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    Here's a link to video on Jeff Nichols' Urban Log Hauler, pretty slick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFM2_OM_eA

It sounds like you all have the same trailer. Where did you buy it?

Thanks,
    Dave
    That is pretty slick........Jeff really is innovative! I could think of a couple of modifications that I think would make that log hauler even better........an electric winch, for one instead of the chain hoist. I have been thinking about learning to weld.......even have looked at a couple of welders the last few months......sometimes I don't have time to turn, let alone start getting involved in building things like this, but it does hold a certain fascination for me!

Roger,

I have a similar trailer to yours with a couple exceptions. Mines is 6 by 10 and has a tilt bed.
    I suggest you weld a 2" receiver under the front rail. You can use the receiver for a number of jobs. I bought one of the HF pickup truck booms, cut the bottom of it off and welded on a 2" square pipe so it will go in the receiver hitch in my truck or trailer. This gives you the height you need to lift logs and pull them into the trailer and you can remove the rig when your done. You can also reach over the side to lift stuff onto the trailer. I also use an old boat winch in the trailer receiver to pull mowers, golf carts and other equipment on the trailer. I fastened the boat winch to a 2" piece of square tubing.

When I am working in the field I can use the 2" receiver to hold a vise, metal benders and a whole host of other attachments. I have plans to remove all four of the corner posts on my trailer and replace them with heavy wall 2" receiver tubing. This will give me a means to attach a removable rack. It will also allow me to install a vise and other tools at any corners of the trailer, use the corners as saw horses or a perfect fixture for a chop saw.

Last week I replaced the wooden 6 by 6 support in my shop with a piece of 6" pipe. i welded plate to the top and bottom of the pipe so I could fasten it to the floor and to the the ceiling support beam. The next step is to weld a 2" receiver to the pipe so I can attach a vise which will hold my metal benders. Then an adjustable ring at the top so I can build a swinging boom for light lifting in my shop.

If you need help let me know, you are certainly within driving distance to my place and I would be glad to help you with your trailer mods.

Just a few ideas to get you thinking

good gloat Roger, you are going to be a poplar guy in your club, espically with that big chain saw

that sure is a pretty slick setup Jeff Nichols' has, not sure how much wood you can haul with those, wood is very heavy

15. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Roger,

I have a similar trailer to yours with a couple exceptions. Mines is 6 by 10 and has a tilt bed.
    I suggest you weld a 2" receiver under the front rail. You can use the receiver for a number of jobs. I bought one of the HF pickup truck booms, cut the bottom of it off and welded on a 2" square pipe so it will go in the receiver hitch in my truck or trailer. This gives you the height you need to lift logs and pull them into the trailer and you can remove the rig when your done. You can also reach over the side to lift stuff onto the trailer. I also use an old boat winch in the trailer receiver to pull mowers, golf carts and other equipment on the trailer. I fastened the boat winch to a 2" piece of square tubing.

When I am working in the field I can use the 2" receiver to hold a vise, metal benders and a whole host of other attachments. I have plans to remove all four of the corner posts on my trailer and replace them with heavy wall 2" receiver tubing. This will give me a means to attach a removable rack. It will also allow me to install a vise and other tools at any corners of the trailer, use the corners as saw horses or a perfect fixture for a chop saw.

Last week I replaced the wooden 6 by 6 support in my shop with a piece of 6" pipe. i welded plate to the top and bottom of the pipe so I could fasten it to the floor and to the the ceiling support beam. The next step is to weld a 2" receiver to the pipe so I can attach a vise which will hold my metal benders. Then an adjustable ring at the top so I can build a swinging boom for light lifting in my shop.

If you need help let me know, you are certainly within driving distance to my place and I would be glad to help you with your trailer mods.

Just a few ideas to get you thinking
    Keith.........thanks for the suggestions........I would love to see some pics of your modifications to your trailer........I might not have all the different purposes that you have in using my trailer, but I have been thinking a winch and maybe a pulley attaches someway to an elevated arch frame or such to lift the end of a log and be able to pull it up on to the trailer.....would also work well for mowers and four wheelers, or even hauling or moving woodworking machinery such as a table saw on a mobil base.......I plan to relocate and build a new shop in the future, so a trailer with capabilities like this would certainly assist in accomplishing hard tasks, especially as I am not quite a young as I used to be!

Should I need a hand, I might send you a PM! Thanks!