Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandblastted and Dyed Oak HF

Sandblastted and Dyed Oak HF

This is one of the red oak forms I turned to finish last fall. It was warm in the unheated part of my shop last week so I thought I would finish it. Sandblasted, dyed black, liming wax, and acrylic lacquer.

1 Tall Black Oak r.jpg
    6 Tall Black Oak.jpg5 Tall black Oakr.jpg4 Tall Black Oakr.jpg3 Tall Black Oakr.jpg2 Tall Black Oak r.jpg

17 ¾” x 7 7/8” x ¼”

7 Tall Black Oak Profiler.jpg

I have one more large red oak log to turn at some point so all C & C as to form or anything else are appreciated. In other words, is this one worth doing again.... or some other variation.

Baxter, that one has a very interesting look and I like it. Lots of contrasts going on. The long continous curve must have been a bear. Did the sandblasting cut out the areas you put the wax? When I first opened this thread, I expected a John Jordan kind of relief to it from the blasting, but this looks kind of smooth.

3. Baxter, you seem to be getting along pretty well with the waxes for grain contrast..........these are lookin' good!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you want to try different mica powders, just mix them with some paste wax and rub it into the grain. Pearl Ex works great and comes in 25 + colors. Great piece and thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

To answer your question...yes, definitely worth doing again. I like it a lot.

Bax, I like them.....a lot. Water white acrylic lacquer was the perfect topcoat since it won't yellow the white in the wax. The shape is very cool and the thickness, or rather the thinness at the mouth makes me want to start at the top and admire the shape all the way down. Do it again?? Heck yes. People would love a piece shaped like this. You can do a whole series and vary the color. Nice work and well appreciated, at least by me.
    faust

I like it Baxter. The form, finish etc. Looks great by me

I too like it Baxter. There is something about texture when working with wood that really appeals to me. Don't get me wrong I sure wouldn't give up my buffing system but texture just adds something.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Baxter I think they look great and well worth doing again. Just a couple of things you might consider, white oak or ash would show off the grain better, I would like to see natural color wood with just open grain darkened.
    Fred

very nice, size and form and finish, good direction you are taking

now if you get serious about big drum.....let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    ..... Did the sandblasting cut out the areas you put the wax? .......
    Josh, the sandblasting opens up the pores a bit and removes the softer woods which do get filled in with the wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    If you want to try different mica powders, just mix them with some paste wax and rub it into the grain. Pearl Ex works great and comes in 25 + colors. Great piece and thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I may need to give that a try at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    ....., white oak or ash would show off the grain better, I would like to see natural color wood with just open grain darkened.
    Thanks Fred, I have tried this with Ash but never the white oak.
    Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions. They are appreciated!

Looks great,well done!

Very nice work, the form looks great and your enhancement really brought out the grain pattern.

Love the form and color Baxter. Really shows the piece off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice. Definitely worth doing again! I really like the way the wax makes the grain stand out, very vase noir.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.