Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refreshing the kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused. It's been two years, yet you had the advice of a Realtor. Are you planning to sell the house soon? This is one of the areas where Realtors really frustrate me. They only seem to know current trends and styles, but they're not interior designers. If you're going to live in the house for however much time, the longer that time will be, the less that current trends should influence your decision (unless you really like them, or want to continually update). I've been in hundreds, if not, thousands, of houses, so I have a pretty good idea of what I like. That may or may not have anything in common with "what sells". When I'm ready to sell, I'll cross that bridge, but until then, any work I do on my house will be to suit my tastes and uses.

As for order of work, I agree with Bryan's post from 2013--do the major demolition and reconstruction first. Set up a temporary kitchen elsewhere if you have to, but you'll be time, dollars and inner peace ahead to rip out everything you're going to replace first, then start putting in the new. Rip out the trim and cabinets, then the floor, do all your rough-in plumbing and electrical, put in the new floor, patch walls, trim and paint, set cabinets, finish plumbing and electrical, touch up paint.
    Ummm.... I know what I like and want to use in the kitchen, keep it simple and classic. SWMBO likes to make things a little more complicated, IE speaking our realtors. Yes, there is always the possibility of moving, but as long as I don't have a specific date, I plan as if I will be here for the long term.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Hi Dan, Shaker style, go with the veneer panel, not the solid wood. Veneer is much more stable. Although it should be a mdf core not plywood core.
    The pins in the back, they dont help or hurt anything except the look. they were put there to hold the door together until the glue dried. IMO I dont like it.
    If you havent ordered your doors yet, check out walzcraft, Lacrosse Wi. I have been getting my doors from them for 10 years now, and they are top notch. They will not have the pins in the back. High quality doors, company will stand behind them as well.
    Flat square panel, cherry, veneer mdf core, 17.10-19.55 / sq. ft.
    19.55 is natural grade with no sap, 17.10 is natural grade and allows sap.
    14x31 door would be 52.00-58.00 depending on the grade. They will ship.
    Just my 2 cents
    Chad
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    Hi Dan, Shaker style, go with the veneer panel, not the solid wood. Veneer is much more stable. Although it should be a mdf core not plywood core.
    The pins in the back, they dont help or hurt anything except the look. they were put there to hold the door together until the glue dried. IMO I dont like it.
    If you havent ordered your doors yet, check out walzcraft, Lacrosse Wi. I have been getting my doors from them for 10 years now, and they are top notch. They will not have the pins in the back. High quality doors, company will stand behind them as well.
    Flat square panel, cherry, veneer mdf core, 17.10-19.55 / sq. ft.
    19.55 is natural grade with no sap, 17.10 is natural grade and allows sap.
    14x31 door would be 52.00-58.00 depending on the grade. They will ship.
    Just my 2 cents
    Chad
    Thanks for the lead. I will get in touch with them on Thursday while the rugrats are in school. I will call them and ask about the nails and lack of filler. Filling them myself is not a big job if we feel the need.

That said, quotes are coming in for some of the aspects and hopefully I will be in a good place to start in a couple weeks. I just need to figure out the oven cabinet mess and find a couple 20" base cabinets. Next up is quotes for linoleum flooring and Caesarstone counters.

I have a bonus question for tonight. They glued this nasty, awful laminate over everything in the kitchen. How do I get this off the plaster walls without destroying the plaster? I am hoping to replace it with Mexican talavera subway tile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 03-10-2015 at 9:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    If you havent ordered your doors yet, check out walzcraft, Lacrosse Wi...
    Chad
    Thanks again Chad. The rift sawn oak would have been a nice option (but pricey!). Unfortunately, they do not sell directly to homeowners doing a DIY project, but will set me up with a local refacing company. Oh well.