Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Wipe on Finish?

Question Your favorite Wipe on Finish?

What is your favorite wipe-on Product for turnings? It is time to buy/mix some more and I an wondering about your favorites for turnings.

Context:
    I use wipe-on finishes on almost everything I make & it's time to buy / mix some more.

I have used:
    First furniture pieces - Watco Danish Wood Oil
    Coffee Table - Waterlox (incredibly hard!)
    Rocking Chair - Maloof Oil/Varnish followed by Oil/Wax
    Outdoor furniture - Epifanes Marine (brushed on for thickness)
    Various home mixes of Poly and Mineral Spirits
    BLO, BLO / Poly / Mineral Spirits
    Howard's Feed n Wax
    De-waxed Shellac, Regular Shellac
    Wipe on waxes, buffed carnuba

Since I started turning I have used my leftover Maloof products, Howard's "Feed n Wax", and Beall's buffed carnuba.

But I am about to use up all of my wipe on products and need to buy / mix some more. I have not been disappointed with any of the above. So this question is about your personal favorite Wipe-on product for turnings?

In case of a tie, this time I am looking for gloss finish or shiny wood finish over matte.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My favorite is Maloof Mix: BLO + semigloss polyurethane + some ms. It just always comes out great, and has better can-life than the 'better' varnishes, and is impossible to mess u. On an in-the-wood finish there's no difference in appearance though.

When I want a slight film but clarity's important, I reach for shellac.

For production, I prefer Deft Finish in a spray can. A single can'll last for several turnings. It's so darn brainless it feels like cheating...

I like Minwax Antique Oil. Available from your local Ace hardware, Rockler and others.
    God is great and life is good!

My goto finish is Polymerize Tung oil, (from Lee Valley) it's less yellowing than BLO and is an easy to apply oil that makes a tough finish.
    Have fun and take care

My go to finish is almost always Waterlox original. I love the way it looks.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Brian, first of good name. Could you comment on Waterlox. I have never used it.

There are four things to know about Waterlox:

1) It's darker than most other varnishes.
    2) It has a relatively short bottle life. You have to take care to decant into smaller containers or use Bloxygen or use it all up quickly.
    3) The "Gloss" and "Satin" Waterloxes are full strength. The "Original Sealer Finish" is thinned to wiping consistency and is darker than the other two.
    4) The Original Sealer Finish comes in VOC compliant and "Original" formulation. You want the Original one if you want it to perform as well as people around here say it does. It wipes on easy and levels wonderfully. It also brushes well if you choose.

For all my pieces I apply a 50% thinned Bulls Eye Shellac for a sanding sealer, sand that the next day with some 400 and apply WOP satin (4-5 coats over several days) or Minwax Tung Oil Finish (3-4 coats over several days) and then a slight scuff with some 600 and to the Beal buffing wheels. Finally I apply Ren wax and hand buff. This produces a nice soft gloss with the poly and a warm glow satin with the Tung Oil( my preference).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

My favorite is Qualalacq lacquer thinned 50% with their proprietary thinner. Flood on with a bit of paper towel, wipe off with a clean paper towel and buff dry with cheesecloth. Works best on smallish items.

Larger items get thinned wipe on poly made in small batches, flooded on with a brush, wiped off with paper towel, buffed dry with more paper and cheesecloth.

Both finishes benefit from a top coat of Renaissance wax applied with a white 3M pad and buffed with cheesecloth and soft flannel or felt.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Brian,
    Everything Prashun just wrote about waterlox.
    I have only used it on walnut, so I didn't know it was dark.
    The finish is so hard that I have invited people for 4 years to put their shoes and coffee cups directly on the coffee table and it shows no scratches. It was also a test finish for future use on a dining table. There are cracks, but only where the wood shrunk underneath.
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 02-18-2013 at 4:23 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My favorite wipe-on finish for turnings is Deft's brushing lacquer (branded as Deft Clear Wood Finish). I usually use semi-gloss, but gloss works, too. If the finish is too glossy, I can always reduce the gloss a tad with some 0000 steel wool. I like it because it produces an attractive, durable finish and because it's extremely quick and easy to apply. I can easily apply 4 coats (or more) in the space of an hour. Buffing in-between coats with a clean paper towel will cure the finish enough to apply another coat. In addition to using it as the final finish, I'll often use it as a sanding sealer. Thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner, I can quickly fill the open pores of ash or oak with lacquer/sanding slurry. If lacquer isn't going to be the final finish, I can then sand down to the bare wood and apply whichever other finish I choose. Good stuff.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Minwax Wipe On Poly - foolproof, relatively cheap, and the "best overall and best value" in the Fine Woodworking test done in Issue #178, July-August 2005, if that means anything to you.

I have, however, on Leo's recommendation a year or so ago, acquired some of the Sutherland Welles polymerized tung oil (same as LV), but have yet to use it. I am impressed with its clarity and look forward to using it. The caveat is - it is horribly expensive and did not fair as well in the FWW test as did several others. It was listed as a 10 in darkness (1 being lightest) compared to a 4 for Minwax WOP.

Minwax Tung Oil Finish (4-5 coats over several days). Or Hope's 100% tung oil (I have to order it and Minwax is in hardware stores).
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

I use 3-2-1. 3 parts shellac, 2 parts DNA, 1 part BLO. I burn in a coat on the piece, let it set for 5 min, then burn in another coat. I repeat that process until I have the shine I want. Then I use carnauba wax over that.

+1 for Minwax Wipe On Poly.