Thread: Feedback on layout of long and narrow shop

Feedback on layout of long and narrow shop

I'm about to take the plunge and invest in a basement workshop space. Tee space I have is long and narrow, with a double-door for the walk-out on one end and another door to additional unfinished basement space at the other end. The dimensions are ~42' X ~14' X ~8.5'. I've laid-out the equipment I expect to acquire over time in a first attempt to optimize workflow and minimize duct runs for the dust collection. On the end with the bump-out I expect to install storage and additional countertop working space. I also plan on building a closet for thh Clearvue cyclone. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks very much.

Cheers,
    Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll leave the machine layout to the experts, but re the Clearvue, if you have it in a second room as depicted, you will most likely not need a closet to protect you from noise in the adjoining room where you will work. I have a similar set up and other than the noise from the local blastgate on the machine that is being used, the cyclone noise is not loud. Now, if I were working in the same room as the CV the story would be different (my wife does get some )noise upstairs, but my cyclone is hanging from the floor joists). Can you run a single diagonal duct from the corner where the cyclone is to the other end of the shop room cutting the room into two "triangles," with take-offs along the way? That would probably be the shortest route.

I would suggest putting the chopsaw and the ripfence side of the tablesaw against one wall at the same height, that way you can use the support table of the chopsaw to support wide rips, and the tablesaw extension to support long crosscuts, plus you will maximize the width for crosscuts to the left side of the tablesaw. The jointer and planer (you will want a planer though I don't see one in your plan) can go side by side near the opposite wall. If you set the tablesaw out of parallel to the wall, you can have the bandsaw against that wall too, as the wide tablesaw rips can bypass it. Bandsaws are usually a bit higher, so you can share some airspace there. Hand tools, fasteners, benches and finishing at the far end. Keep playing around with alternative layouts until it makes sense.That is not a large space, but it definitely is workable. Try to keep enough floor space free for putting together as large a project as you can envision with room to move around it. Casters are a good thing.

Another thought- if you plan on working with sheet goods,design in a storage area. If you have room (ha), they can be stored on their long edge against a wall but will need some dividers for more than a few sheets. Less floor space would be taken up with a vertical rack, but loading/unloading it is harder. Plastic laminate on the plywood rack floor makes life a lot easier. You will need space for the offcuts as well. Lumber can go on wall racks above the saws.

One thing I have found useful in shop layout is to attach a material path to each tool in the drawing. The tablesaw, assuming use of sheet goods, shows an 8'x17' material path, the chopsaw maybe 1'x24', depending how long the stock you bring in. You can see how the material paths overlap or conflict, and place the tools accordingly. Sometimes you can gain a lot by angling machines or raising one above another.

My suggestion would be to consider 'clustering' some tools, like the tablesaw/jointer/bandsaw or whatever fits. Saves on DC hookups too.

Just last nite I was considering putting a small router table or my benchtop planer above the extension table. Don't know why it wouldn't work, and it is just dead space.

Rick Potter