Thread: Salt-Free Pig

Salt-Free Pig

I loved David DeCristoforo's threads on the Salt Pig awhile back. Hadn't known there was such a thing. It occurred to me the other night that there should also be a Salt-Free Pig. Here's my design suggestion.

Wood: Black Walnut
    Tail: Brass cup hook
    Eyes: Hollow brass rivet studs
    Attached Images Attached Images

David, I have to say that is one cute little piggy! Now the next one needs to be hollowed out for a bank!

Fun project,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Makin Bacon!
    cute
    Carpe Lignum

4. That's a hoot! Looks like the holes in the snout could be made into a salt shaker, if you desired and wanted to hollow it and put a plug for the tail! Just an idea, but it would be another "salt pig."
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's pretty cool David! I'm with Roger, I think it would make a neat salt shaker.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Ha. A great little pig! Roger beat me to my own thoughts. Hollowed out with the salt coming out of the pigs snout! Now we need a "low salt" pig!!!
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks, all, for the comments! Yep, the little guy would have made a neat salt shaker or piggy bank. Just starting to learn how to do hollow forms, so it will give me something to aim for the next time around!

David

Just saw this, Very Cool!
    It's all fun!

Terry

Don't know how I missed this earlier, great lil piggy!
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

That is just cool. I agree with a salt shaker.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

David, how about a salt pig of maple and a pepper pig of walnut?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Murphy View Post
    Just saw this, Very Cool!
    Terry, Eric, Bernie and Tom, thanks for the comments, and for bumping this old thread! It reminds me that I did want to try a salt shaker based on Mr. Piggy. And now a pepper shaker as well. When I last thought about it, I was trying to think of how to do the hollowing through an opening that could plugged with a cork in a place that wouldn't detract from the look. Maybe incorporate the plug with the tail. Back to thinking about it!

David

What about making the nose out of a couple of pieces so that you have something like this (http://www.testvalleyturners.co.uk/U...text%20TVT.pdf)

Make the body of the pig where the body of this salt shaker is. Put the nose hole piece as a cap over the bottom and make the inside of it curved so the salt falls out through.

Lloyd

Very clever, Lloyd. Thanks for the idea!

David