Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on getting western saws

The prices I've paid and variety I've seen is solidly in line with David's earlier post. Most of mine have come from antique/junk shops or flea markets. I got a Keystone K-4 (Disston second-tier make) for $1 on eBay simply because it was the minimum bid and nobody else bothered. The only saw I've paid good money for is one I never plan to use, it's an older looking table saw stamped "J. McMahon, London" that I bought as a vanity purchase.

I'll go out on a limb and give some rough criteria for things to look for in a junk shop saw:
    - Is it pretty much straight? Or if kinked, only at the tip?
    - Is it missing no more than a handful of teeth? A few gone aren't a deal-breaker.
    - Is it thicker at the tooth line than at the top side (taper-ground)? Generally a good sign.
    - Is the handle blocky and junky looking? Or more ornate? Ornate isn't a guarantee of quality, but it points toward it.

I'll also say, don't be afraid to mix and match. If the saw plate is good, you can make a replacement handle. If a $5 saw is bent like a pretzel and has a handle that looks like it's been used as a dog toy, it's still a good deal if it has saw nuts you can scavenge and re-purpose.

I recently did an inventory and I have more saws than I can reasonably justify. If you want to PM me your info, I can mail you a couple.

Oh yeah, I forgot one. A huge 3 1/2 to 6 ppi variable very old bakewell rip saw that was on ebay for $6 (as in it pretty much gradually goes from 6 at the toe to 3 1/2 at the heel). I would love to find a proper sunken medallion for it. Some jerkazoid ripped the medallion out of it and I've never seen another one.

I don't have all of the saws I listed earlier, either. Just a typical price list. I've found my favorites and am pretty much done with it. It's up to everyone to do that on their own, I guess. For working saws, it's nice to have a couple that you like, they're a lot like razors to me. If you keep an eye on the edge (or teeth in the case of saws), maintenance is little and pleasure is lots.

PM sent to you Fitzhugh, I live in Hayward and I can set you up with saws that are guaranteed winners ( straight, wide plate, teeth in tact and well shaped, early 1900s Disston 7 or 12s).

Blog Entries
    This is a fantastic source of information, thank you all! It's taken the mystery out of how to start, made it no longer a black box. Of course I have to do the real learning by hand and feel, but that part is fun.

Brian and Nathan - I'll let Nathan take it for the simple reason that he asked first, plus I already spent my woodworking funds this month and might have to sleep in the workshop if another package with a pointy piece of metal arrived in the mail. Thank you for the offer. I agree with Nathan, I'd much rather get one from someone here than on ebay.

A few months ago I saw maybe 10 saws at the local construction and everything else reuse depot but realized I had NO idea how to even begin parsing them out. This info - the price ranges, things to check, sources on learning more and sharpening info, offers to send saws - it has made it seem within reach.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Fitz, you should consider taking Christian up on his offer- he's in your area and he really knows his saws