Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new Cordless Drill

Need a new Cordless Drill

I'm looking for advice 'and input on purchasing a new cordless drill. I currently have older 12 volt DeWalts and I am sick and tired of the batteries not holding a charge. It's infuriating to grab them, and they don't hold a charge for more than 20 minutes. When they're new, they're great, when they get older, it bites.

What is out there? what have you folks had success with? Specifically in regards to battery life.
    I'm not looking for a drill "that will get the job done" I'm looking for a drill that will get the job done 5 years from now, in snow, ice and sub-freeing temps. I want a cordless with enough butt to drill metal and dense tropical hardwoods. I don't need a rotary hammer. The battery has to work, be capable of charging, and hold the charge in freezing temps. My DeWalt's seem to always bite the dust in winter.
    My corded drills are both Milwuakee's, 1/2" right angle,and 1/2" Hole Shooter. Milwuakee was my first choice in a cordless, until the mechanics at work told me that the new Milwaukee's don't seem to be as good as the older ones.

Any input will be greatly appreciated and there is no $$$ ceiling.

Mike.

PS.
    Yep, here we are after a blizzard and I need my cordless drills, which worked last summer,and now they won't.
    Can you sense my frustration?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike,

I know there are guys here with a lot more experience with many brands, but I will share mine anyway. I have a Ryobi One 18v that I got in a kit several years ago and it's been a workhorse. I have a Craftsman corded drill, but I never touch it because the Ryobi has done everything I've asked of it, including drilling numerous holes in concrete block to mount my lumber rack, clamps racks, and tool racks in the garage. I recently built a two-cord firewood rack and drove well over 100 3" screws into pressure treated pine without having to change batteries.

The NiCd battery that came with it bit the dust a while ago, but I had upgraded to the Lithium Ion batteries about 5 years ago and they are still going strong, which surprised me since I had read that Li-ion batteries have a life of about 2-3 years regardless of the number of charge cycles. Li-ion batteries will hold a charge for months and they don't have the long slow decline in power like NiCd batteries. When you notice a drop in power it's just about time to charge. I love it because I don't get into the shop every day, but the Li-ion batteries are always ready to go. No matter what brand you go with I would go for Li-ion batteries.

The cold is murder on batteries. I don't have a lot of experience with using them out in the cold weather. Mine stay in my unheated basement shop so they are usually in a 55-68 degree environment. I wouldn't leave them overnight in the winter on an unheated job site or out in an unheated truck.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I agree with Charles about the Lithium Ion batteries. I have a Bosch 18v Li-Ion that works great. The charge lasts a long time and it is always ready to go even when it's been sitting for a long time. I'm not sure how it would do outside all day long. I mostly use mine inside and have no complaints.

I have had the cordless Milwaukee 18v hammer/drill/driver for a couple years now and I love it. It's most recent heavy use was to drill the 3/4" dogholes through my bench top. Aside from having to let the motor cool down about half way through, it worked flawlessly using only about one and a half batteries (the larger ones). The only issue I have had with it was something (a shard of metal I think) getting into the chuck mechanism preventing it from turning out all the way. Under the LSA I sent it to Milwaukee (at my cost) and within a few days, they sent it back (at their cost) as good as new.

As others have said, definitely go for the L Ion batteries, They work at full power up until the death and recharge fully in about an hour. Once again this for the larger capacity batteries, which I'd recommend.

Couldn't be happier.

I've got the Bosch drill and driver combo. I think all the brands listed do a great job. I've got a stand alone shop that I don't heat in the winter until it gets down below 30F. I've also been working on an old wooden cruising sailboat with no heat this winter. Up here in Northern MI the temp is normally in the teens and 20's during the day -- often lower. The Bosch drill/driver set has worked flawlessly in those conditions.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Lithiums aren't affected by cold weather. Longevity, power, etc are the same at freezing as they are at room temps.

I bought a 'package deal' from Makita (through Amazon) a year or so ago. It comes with a drill, and an impact driver, two 18V batteries, and a nice charger. Also included is a dufy soft sided square bag--it is just a weird carry bag, but it works.

I was replacing a centuries old Makita 12V drill that had gone through the first battery, and the seocnd was on its last legs---wouldn't charge; wouldn't hold the charge for very long (couple of minutes). The drill is workable, but literally falling apart at the seams, and the cost of new batteries is, well, 'high'.

The new Makita has been very usable. I have drilled for a LOT of towel bars and cabinet knobs, used it in the shop to drive untold numbers of screws (many in heavy oak boards), and even stuck a one inch masonry bit in it and drilled through a concrete wall to run conduit.

Good power. Long battery life (especially compared to the dying old makita!). Good 'feel/balance'. Ugly black and white color. I have found no meaninghful faults in over one year of reasonable use.

Hope this helps. I would add it is just coincidental that both of my cordless drills have been Makitas, but i have to say i am happy with their producs-- also own a very old Makita skill saw and Makita quarter sheet sander (which i bought 'remanufactured'). My corded drill is an OLD Skill which should have died ten years ago....but it won't!

I'm a building contractor who uses a cordless drill every single day. I have used them all and nothing has even come close to outlasting my Milwaukees. I had my last Milwaukee cordless for 7 years. The only reason I replaced it was because I couldn't find reliable replacement batteries for it. I have dropped them off of tall ladders onto concrete, left them out in the rain ( by accident of course) used them in brutally cold and hot weather, and still they perform flawlessly.

PS. I have never owned, or new any contrator who owned, a RYOBi tool of any kind who didn't think it was worthless. I can't believe they are still in business.
    Last edited by John Bailey; 02-14-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Vulgarity

I just replaced a few drills, 18 volt Dewalt XRP's that were just wore out with more Dewalt XRP's. I tried the Milwaukee, a Bosch LI, and a Makita before buying again, and for my uses the Dewalt earned its place, again. The Milwaukee has died in light metal shop use in less than 6 months, that Bosch's lithium batteries were not as good as I wanted and its a wimp, and the Makita was not enough of a horse. These are all 18 volt. You mentioned 12 volt, I use 18 for the power, but it is a bigger tool, so maybe it won't work for you. The 20 volt Dewalts look good, but I have not tried one.

If batteries were the only issue you had with your Dewalt, why not just get new batteries? They wear out.

I have both an 18 volt and a 12 volt Milwaukee. They have been great. Only problem I had was one 12 volt battery went bad and Milwaukee replaced it under the 5 yr warranty.

George

I have a Makita 18v and two Dewalt 18v drills. All three are excellent. My son has the Dewalt 20v and I really like it. It's lighter than my 18v drills and has just as much power. Li batteries are also the only way to go.

I would go with the 20v if you don't already have a bunch of different tools that all use the same batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Val Kosmider View Post
    I bought a 'package deal' from Makita (through Amazon) a year or so ago. It comes with a drill, and an impact driver, two 18V batteries, and a nice charger. Also included is a dufy soft sided square bag--it is just a weird carry bag, but it works.

I was replacing a centuries old Makita 12V drill that had gone through the first battery, and the seocnd was on its last legs---wouldn't charge; wouldn't hold the charge for very long (couple of minutes). The drill is workable, but literally falling apart at the seams, and the cost of new batteries is, well, 'high'.

The new Makita has been very usable. I have drilled for a LOT of towel bars and cabinet knobs, used it in the shop to drive untold numbers of screws (many in heavy oak boards), and even stuck a one inch masonry bit in it and drilled through a concrete wall to run conduit.

Good power. Long battery life (especially compared to the dying old makita!). Good 'feel/balance'. Ugly black and white color. I have found no meaninghful faults in over one year of reasonable use.

Hope this helps. I would add it is just coincidental that both of my cordless drills have been Makitas, but i have to say i am happy with their producs-- also own a very old Makita skill saw and Makita quarter sheet sander (which i bought 'remanufactured'). My corded drill is an OLD Skill which should have died ten years ago....but it won't!

I have the same Makita pair. Bought em a couple of years ago, HD had em on sale. Great units, light compared to my old DeWalt which as many have said wouldn't hold a charge for more than 20 minutes. The impact driver is a gem. The LIon batts hold a charge and quickly recharge.
    Reality continues to ruin my life!

You might check out the new brushless motors that are coming out. They supposedly require less power, therefore the batteries last longer between charges. I am in the process of converting my garage into a shop and I purchased a Makita brushless impact driver a couple of weeks ago and it's the bomb. I really like this tool. Blue and black, made in Japan. Makita LXDT06. I've had Dewalt, PC, and worthless Ridgid before.

I have the 12 volt and 20 volt Dewalt Max series drills and drivers, as well as some other 20v tools. I tried pretty much all the brands and I just love the Dewalt better. Better grip for a guy with a bad wrist. Ton of power. I only use the 20 volt driver for rough carpentry because it's way too powerful to control on fine stuff. It's a beast. The 20 volt drill I usually use for drill bits and then use the 12 to drive screws. A little more control that way. The 12 volt to me is all you need but I just couldn't help myself from buying the 20 volt for remodeling the house. I have the circular saw and recip saw for the 20v and no lack of power from my corded ones.

Batteries for both last a good time and charge fast. Can't go wrong with either series.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I have 3 Makita drills that came with one each NIMH battery and one Nicad, and all 3 NIMH batteries have bit the dust. They were supposed to last longer than the nicad, but the nicads still work. I have one new Bosch 3/8 LI drill, like it as it is light, but not nearly as strong as the Makitas, but great for drilling small holes and using for pocket screws. Also have a new Dewalt set, got the drill, saw, reciprocating saw light set at Sears black friday for a great price, and am surprised at how powerful the drill is. Guess the next time they have the Dewalt on sale, will pick up another. It is also Nicad. Cheaper to buy another drill than 2 batteries.