Thread: Wedding pen set – wood recommendations

Wedding pen set – wood recommendations

I am making a pen set for a wedding gift. I think I like the black pen for the groom and white pen for the bride concept. I am planning to use African Blackwood for the groom, but I am not sure on the white pen for the bride. What wood will give me as close to pure white as I can get without stain or dye? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bonde View Post
    I am making a pen set for a wedding gift. I think I like the black pen for the groom and white pen for the bride concept. I am planning to use African Blackwood for the groom, but I am not sure on the white pen for the bride. What wood will give me as close to pure white as I can get without stain or dye? Dave
    You might try Holly for the white pen. I can't imagine any whiter and more featureless without going to synthetic material.

I agree with John, or maybe a piece of curly maple. Sometimes yellowish but sometimes almost white.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wooly mammoth ivory. Seriously. Makes beautiful, if not expensive, pens.

Thanks, Dave. You just gave me an idea for my daughter's upcoming wedding. I'm gonna steal it. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Wooly mammoth ivory. Seriously. Makes beautiful, if not expensive, pens.
    I had to look that one up to see if you could be serious. You are!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Kallenshaan woods has a laser blank that is a tuxedo. Maybe they have a blank that has something relating to the brides interests too.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

This is a pen and pencil set that my son, 14yrs old, made for his cousin's wedding. it is holly with an ebony celtic knot. The larger pen is a cigar pen and th eslim is a slim line pen.
    wedding set.jpg

Dave, Holly will likely be closest to pure white, but if not kiln dried, it is somewhat subject to a bluish staining before you get your finish on it. Another nice pen blank to consider is one out of acrylic. Most of the pen kit suppliers will carry something in acrylic white, or alternative ivory, some with a pearly look...my favorite in the white acrylics. Here's one from woodturningz. http://www.woodturningz.com/Products/PBIA26.jpg

Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks guys great information, no problem Eric glad to help I think I will give the holly a try the acrylics look really good but I think I have my heart set on wood. Wooly mammoth ivory would be cool but out of my price range :-0 Dave