Thread: $10 precision table saw alignment tool

$10 precision table saw alignment tool

I was going to spring for a commercial ts alignment tool but had a few 8020 leftover brackets. I cut a perfect miter bar out of QSWO and assembled a very solid miter slot alignment tool. I just had to drill one hole to attach the gage and 2 holes in the wood miter bar. It works beautifully and just wanted to share in case you want to save a few bucks and make your own. It took 10minutes to drill the 3 holes, tap one hole and screw together. I don't remember the part numbers but if anyone is interested, I try and can dig it up from my old files.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Leung; 02-13-2013 at 5:48 PM.

I like it! Thanks for sharing.

That's great, and right on point for me- I was literally just getting ready to post a thread about TS alignment, and how to accomplish it accurately (I'm a newbie) when I saw this. Is that a dial indicator attached to the bracket, and if so, how did you attach it?

Also, I assume in this pic your aligning the blade to the slot for parallel?

I'm interested in knowing where to get those brackets; I'd like to make something similar!

Thanks!

Hey guys. Yes the pic shows the indicator measuring the slot to the blade. I also use this to measure the angle of the fence. I drilled the aluminum plate and tapped it for a 1/4-20 bolt to secure the dial indicator. You can get fancy and make a pivot point for the indicator as well.
    I bought my 8020 parts form the 8020 garage on Ebay many years ago. The parts used are called panel retainers. Shoot a message to the 8020 guy selling on Ebay to see if he has any double and single retainers available. The parts he sells are really interesting and could inspire you to build something useful for your shop.

The best thing about this project is I didn't need to cut anything besides the miter bar so it was quick and simple. The holes were already drilled and tapped so I just screwed everything together.

the first pic shows the underside
    the second pic shows the 1/4-20 bolt mentioned
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Leung; 02-13-2013 at 9:41 PM.

Hey Mike...

Prob a dumb question, but I can't tell how you actually attached the gauge. Can you explain?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Zahn View Post
    Hey Mike...

Prob a dumb question, but I can't tell how you actually attached the gauge. Can you explain?

thanks!
    I drilled a hole in the aluminum plate and tapped it for a 1/4-20 bolt.

Sweet!
    Thanks for both tips.
    The jig and also the 8020 link. He's got tons of useful stuff there. I can see where my next hundred dollars is headed,,,
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon