Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Precision Tools in Woodworking

I think the wooden handle bar might be a bad idea. How long do you think it will take the bicycle clamp to squeeze the wood until it gets compressed and loosens. Tighten clamp again,same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
    It's David Moore. He's one of those guys on whom moss will never grow. I love the video but it makes me feel like I've wasted my life!

Here's another one:

It never ceases to amaze me what he does with some pretty basic tools. Did you notice the General brand caliper?

If you want to see more of his videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dpmbn8

Here's his website: http://davidmoorefurniture.com/ Some really beautiful pieces there.
    I would have bet money he road a fixie. LOL.

His videos seem to dwell on his coolness more than on his woodworking. I mean,WHO plays gunfighter ballads in their woodworking videos?????? Besides,Marty Robbin's "Big Iron" wasn't such a tough guy. I modified his song so that the stranger carried a PIG IRON on his hip!!! Now,THAT would be someone you wouldn't mess with!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I think the wooden handle bar might be a bad idea. How long do you think it will take the bicycle clamp to squeeze the wood until it gets compressed and loosens. Tighten clamp again,same thing.
    When I was an avid bicyclist, my thoughts were the same.

But there is a lot of history of wood use in bicycles. Found this from Googling > wooden handlebars <:

http://veloaficionado.com/american-w...nts-1896-1897/

Looking at the images from the search seems to indicate there is a lot of modern wooden bike component enthusiasts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am aware that bikes had wooden parts. But,there is a different type of clamp holding the antique bike's handle bars on. There is full contact all inside the clamp,and it is longer than the modern clamp on the new bike. The modern clamp looks like it has just 2 circular lines of single point contact on the handle bars. That is fine for metal(might give a better grip,too).But,on wood it's going to soon wear grooves. Also,even if it gives full contact,the clamp is much shorter than the old type for use on wood.

My suggestion: At least make a 2" tube of metal with a slit so it can squeeze shut. Make the handlebar so it is a snug fit in the tube. Then,apply the actual bike's clamp on the tube. This would help a lot on not just scoring the wood.

Of course,if the rider just rides on the rear tire,never touching the handle bar,it would not be necessary to do more about it!!!

You can't pull a wheelie without having your hands on the handle bars.
    Besides, a guy with a portfolio like his knows a few things about wood movement

Face it George, he's cooler than you. And me.

But,I never had coolness as a goal!! I wanted to be a craftsman,only,pure and simple.

At least I got the simple part down.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-28-2013 at 5:24 PM.

Long ago I made a quest to find a large square that was actually square. My quest led me to an art supply store, but a quick test revealed that the "squares" they carried, even the best of them, were nowhere near square.

9. Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    But,I never had coolness as a goal!! I wanted to be a craftsman,only,pure and simple.

At least I got the simple part down.
    Yeah, George you're not as cool because you don't have a video that included you filming music videos for bands that no one outside of Williamsburg, Brooklyn has heard of, in between the time it took you to make a slab top table...

Of course I'm being sarcastic. George, you're way cooler than this guy. Come on. Dedication to ones craft is "cooler" than making a slick video. In fact, the objects you make stand the test of time and don't need anything else to laud the precision craftsmanship that went into them.

I did check out David Moore's website, and he does make some nice furniture, so I won't bad mouth him for being part of the hipster, fixed gear bike riding, segment of the population.

Jonas

Thank you,Jonas. I always personally considered becoming skilled and educated as being the truly cool thing to do. I do not put this person in the same category,but I think the invention of being cool was an excuse for stupidly refusing to learn and not becoming an achiever.

David clearly has talent. I think he needs to de emphasize his life style. Might be his way of marketing himself to the younger generation,but I regard that sort of showmanship as being in the "Hollywood woodworker" category. A lot of people who tend to be newbies fall for that sort of thing,however.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-01-2013 at 2:07 PM.

I don't think that part of the population segment will be buying his higher priced pieces, either. Something a little more understated would probably do better to draw the customers with the dollars. He's got a little Reggie Jackson in his self promotion ideas.

"I'm thinking about the magnitude of me".

I can't fault anyone who wants to do his best work. Naturally,it usually means that you tend to end up working for the rich. My best work is that way,too. It's the only way a craftsman can recoup the time he puts into an involved piece of work.

I should not think the slab table would cost a fortune,though. Most of the cost really is in the steel legs.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I can't fault anyone who wants to do his best work. Naturally,it usually means that you tend to end up working for the rich. My best work is that way,too. It's the only way a craftsman can recoup the time he puts into an involved piece of work.

I should not think the slab table would cost a fortune,though. Most of the cost really is in the steel legs.
    The guy who bought my tablesaw had made a slab conference table and told me what he got for it. I won't repeat it because I don't know how big the table was, but it was a lot of money. He said "I'd like to get more of those customers".

I'll bet.

If I were going to do work and I were able to fine work, I would absolutely aim it straight at the people who can pay for it.

George,we all know you are not concerned about being cool .You have been photographed and filmed in the "puffy shirt".

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    George,we all know you are not concerned about being cool .You have been photographed and filmed in the "puffy shirt".
    Wait... so puffy shirts aren't cool? I have so much to learn...

/runs to closet, packs away puffy shirts and breeches.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.