Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Hinge side adjustment

Hey Tyler!

Just gave you a call.
    Feel free to reach back out when you have the time so we can help you out over here at Felder Group.
    If you haven't been able to get your machine to where you like by the reply Brian made, we will be glad to help.

Anyone else on this thread as well that might need, help, we are here for you!

866-792-5288 ext 225

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bart Estes View Post
    I am in the process of tuning my A3 31. I have it set up with the spiral cutter head. I run a small wood shop and was in the middle of my busiest month so far.
    Suddenly the jointer began to leave a snipe in the last inch of the board being jointed. I noted that the oufeed table had dropped below the level of the cutterhead. The drop did not occur gradeually. Previous jointing (4/4 walnut) was fine - one board later, snipe,
    Tech support was good in this case; Brian guided me through adjusting the height of the outfeed table. (I can give details if anyone is interested). Finally got it with a deal of wrestling.
    No snipe, but the tables were no longer remotely co-planar. The outboard end of the infeed table was higher than the inboard end. It was out of whack by eighths of an inch rather than thousandths. The machine was eating one end of the boards I was trying to join: the lead end kept getting thinner while the trailing edge escaped the blade.
    Another call to Brian. Adjusted the temple bolts on the outfeed table to bring the outfeed table to a thou or two below the max height of the penultimate inboard and outboard carbide cutters. The 3 page instructions I have from Hammer then say to use the temple bolts on the infeed side to attain a co planar state.
    No joy. Called tech support. Off to adjust the height of the hinges. I freed the inboard, adjusted the outboard hinge height adjusting mechanism (details available) achieved something resembling a coplanar state and tightened everything down.
    The hold down lever on the infeed side would not engage. I had changed the height of the infeed table enough that the height of the (silver) metal tab that engages the hold down lever had to be adjusted. Success; I can joint wood again.
    Next adventure is trying to adjust he feed rollers so the planer feeds properly. Most of the time I have to push/pull the stock through. If anyone has any experience with this problem, I welcome any advice.

Thank you for your attention.

If it would be helpful I do have:
    A three page instruction sheet from the Felder mother ship about adjusting the jointer tables with the temple bolts
    The Felder booklet of maybe a dozen exploded parts views (all parts' names are in German) of the sub-assemblies of the A3 31

If it would be helpful, I could post them if there is a mechanism for it on this site.

"There are no mistakes; only unexpected design opportunities."
    Hey Bart,

I am having the same issues with my new A331, do you think you could send over the instruction sheets on how to adjust the tables? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Estes View Post
    I
    Next adventure is trying to adjust he feed rollers so the planer feeds properly. Most of the time I have to push/pull the stock through. If anyone has any experience with this problem, I welcome any advice.

Thank you for your attention.

"There are no mistakes; only unexpected design opportunities."

Hi Bart, sounds like the cast iron tables need lubricating. Use either Gleit from Felder or paste wax for hardwood floors (no silicone)......Regards, Rod

Pulling this thread back up since there recently were questions by a few people on how to adjust the tables on a Hammer A3-31. Posts 21-25 by Brian Arbuckle have the best instructions I've ever seen.

Thought others might find them handy.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski