Thread: Introduction, and a few planes I made

Introduction, and a few planes I made

Hello everyone,
    I have been reading for a while, but haven't ever said much. I thought I would break the ice with some pictures of some planes I made. Sorry for the bad photos, but my basement is dark, and its cold outside!!

Most were made with instructions from the book Making Wood Tools by John Wilson. Its a good book, I recommend it.

The smoother and the little block plane blade were ordered from lee valley, they are the HSS blades for the wooden planes they sell.

The Razee style smoother:
    Made from Bubbinga and Oak for the body, the wedge and the plugs are African Mahogany. The tapping plug is Tamboti.

Smoother with proof that it works:

A shoulder plane- actually the first plane I made:
    Cherry and Oak, with Maple Plugs

A group photo of the Smoother, the shoulder plane, a little block plane, and a small router plane. They are in a photo with my Stanley #8 and craftsman 3732 block plane for scale. The block plane was my grandfathers, and it got me started with hand tools. It's still my favorite tool, just a pleasure to use. The little router plane was done almost entirely with hand tools, I used the drill press to drill the holes, the rest was all by hand..

Thanks for looking!!
    Last edited by Tyler A Anderson; 02-09-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: changed pictures

Very nice!
    Thanks for the heads up on the book.

Welcome! Outstanding display of skills. Be sure to speak up from now on...

Tyler - Good stuff! I particularly like the shoulder plane.

Blog Entries
    Wellcome Tyler! That is one sweet lineup.

The smoother is particularly interesting. can you maybe take a shot of how you hold it? I've been researching and prototyping my own planes lately and right now I'm
    looking into ergonomics.

Blog Entries
    Tyler,

Welcome to the Creek and thanks for posting your great looking home made planes.

Hope we see more inspirations from you in the future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice work. The coloring is very attractive.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I wish I could take better pictures, they really look better in person. Matthew, I have attached a photo of one handed use, it seems pretty comfortable, but i haven't used it much yet. Up next is a wooden Spokeshave, and a 12 jack plane.

Tyler:
    Welcome to the Creek. Good-looking planes there. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Tyler you remind me of me, building a whole line up and having a bunch of fun with it. Thanks for attaching the photo, if you remember I'd really like to know how you find the grip after some while, it's an interesting one.
    BTW I think it's great that you used ears and not a cross pin, although I make brass and copper "stepped" pins, ears look better. did you just glue them in?

Yes I just glued them in. I like the way they look but it is a little more fussy to set than the cross pin. That could also just be that the size of the blade makes it a little harder. But i think it is because there is less friction from the wedge as there is less surface area.

Very nice lineup you have made. Well done!
    Can you tell me what the bed angle is on the razee smoother. Looks like it will handle some difficult grain.

-Jeff

Hi Tyler. Welcome to the Creek. That's a pretty cool set a planes you've made yourself. I look forward to seeing your spokeshave and your jack plane!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks Jeff, it is 60 degrees. The book said you can put the blade in bevel up and use it as a 90 deg scraper, but i haven't tried that.

Thanks Chris!