Thread: Painting over high gloss oil based paint

Painting over high gloss oil based paint

I recently painted the trim in one room of our house with high gloss oil based white paint. I think the paint was old and had yellowed somewhat. Now that the room is completely finished and expensive wall paper installed, I realize that I am unhappy with my high gloss "yellow" trim. I asked my local paint store about de-glossing before painting over the trim. They said it was unnecessary and I could simply paint over the existing high gloss paint. I always thought it must be-glossed before painting over high gloss finishes. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? I would like to paint over with a semi-gloss or gloss paint.

Since the paint was recently applied ,my OPINION is just paint over it. Decide exactly what it is you don't like about the color ,ask someone with good taste to look at it with you .White is tricky ,most of the standard ones now are grey,cool whites which I think look bad next to tan morter. Might be if the creaminess of the color you have is the problem, you need a cooler white. I like gloss for light colors since it never shows reflected light as harshly as dark colors.

Someone might talk you into using water base because it doesn't yellow. Make sure you sand first.
    I always sand between coats of oil base. Not necessary with Latex. Latex sticks to Latex no matter what.