Thread: Out of time... need set up. (LONG POST)

Out of time... need set up. (LONG POST)

** I apologize for the length of this post ahead of time ** I ordered a small “desktop” hobby laser with four weeks of production time to rig up a space for it in my small shop. Unfortunately my brother wound up in ICU these past three weeks and we have been needed to assist through the crisis. (After having been given a 5% chance of living through it all and collecting ourselves at the hospital twice because he wasn’t expected to make it through the night, he was sent home Tuesday night and we’ve finally reached a recovery phase that we could hardly dare to even to hope for. SUCH a miracle!)

I just checked the status on my laser this morning to find that not only has it already shipped but is “out for delivery.” Out for delivery? I just ordered the thing yesterday didn’t I? Needless to say, my space looks exactly as it did the day I purchased my laser. Compounded by the fact that I closed my shop for the whole of these past weeks , I’m now in a fix for having not generated the extra income we usually depend on much less able to divert any surplus for the project.

I’ve thrown the old plan out entirely and am now considering the set up options below in an effort to be time efficient and cost effective. Please have a look and let me know if anything is ill advised given the nature running a laser in general. I’ve given myself all manner of brain damage these past weeks and am afraid I’m overlooking something in the aftermath of the whole ordeal. The advice of the experienced folks here would be greatly appreciated.

Space: Former closet space with no doors against an exterior wall at garden level. I intend to tile the floor and vent outside approximately 5-7ft of hose. (We’ve converted what would be a guest bedroom into my shop with a plotter and some other smallish equipment to play with.)

Table: I had intended to get a great bench table, mostly stainless steel, with elevated (off the floor) cabinet areas below for chiller units etc… Now I’m looking at a small Rubbermaid folding table and intend to put my chiller bucket and such right on the tile. Do I need a protective something on the table?

Venting: Harbor Freight, 1HP, Mini Dust Collector, 914 CFM. I intend to keep the unit outside and had big plan on how to house it. Now I’m just thinking about turning a big Rubbermaid box upside-down over the top… maybe insulating the box to some degree for noise. (Pardon me if I’m missing anything that seems glaringly obvious… remember… brain damage.) Do I remember someone venting into water instead of the dust collection bag to help with the stinky stuff? This I hadn’t planned, but if there is a system to manage that aspect of things, I would appreciate comments on this too.

Electrical: Since the ventilation will be outdoors and this is an exterior wall anyhow, I had intended on adding and exterior outlet and connecting a regular light switch to it from the inside. I will likely do this in the future, but if anyone has suggestions as to how to go about rigging something temporary that doesn’t involve my having to walk around the back of the house to turn the think on/off, I’m all ears. (Thinking about using my Christmas tree remote thingy until I have time to re-do the electrical, though I’m not sure if the little gizmo is meant to draw the voltage/wattage/amperage… can’t remember what word fits here.)

Safety: Obviously a fire extinguisher on hand, but I remember seeing some little canisters that remind me of the little “dust off” air in a can type containers that had a cleaner extinguishing medium inside for small flare-ups. I don’t remember where I read it or what it is called, but if anyone knows what this product is, I’d like to include it.

Our shop is small, and mainly a creative outlet that happily generates a modest supplemental income for us. I don’t want to burn our house down over it though, so I’m grateful for any input.

Thanks,
    Chris

Glad to hear your brother is making a recovery. I don't know what your funds are, but I would personally go for the sturdiest table I can get, I've had issues with my table vibrating and causing poor engraving (something I fixed by bracing it against the wall with shims). Just something to keep in mind. You shouldn't need to protect the table, but you'll want to brace it so that it doesn't move.

I wouldn't use a Christmas tree switch. It may make due for a short time but chances are you'll be overpowering it, adding to your risk of fire.

http://www.firecapplus.com/
    Is this what you were talking about? I personally still prefer a legitimate extinguisher because of the "Tried and True" factor and I haven't had to use my can, but for small fires it may be worth it checking it out.

Hi there
    its nice to hear your brother di recover.
    now for your exaust fan use a inline 500CFM hydrophonic fan they are quiet and easy with lots of suction its a 6 inch i reduced it to 4 inch on both sides and used drier lint vent hoses 4 inch, this fans cost about $90 on ebay.
    think on the cooling water it needs to be cooled too
    greetings
    waltfl

Wes,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to read all of that and weed out some concerns. I may have to re-think my table options. I wondered about how much vibration was generated. This table is sturdy for what it is, but it honestly looks like it would melt compared to the one I originally had in mind. Maybe I can find a happy medium at the thrift store.

I had hoped that the tree remote would work for the blower to save myself some hassle, BUT I found Dan's DIY Filtration system and think I may be able to get by on that until something more permanent (aka outside and quiet) can be arranged.

The extinguisher is a MUST of course, I had just seen the little cans here somewhere and though that might be a cleaner way to go for something small. Hopefully I'll be as proficient as you and not have to use it, but if I do, and it is small enough I would love an option that saves me from having to clean all that gunk from the unit, the mirrors, etc... Rest assured, a legitimate fire extinguisher is at hand.

Walt,
    I'll look into that option as well thanks! I like the idea of a quiet system... not required, but preferred.

you can use something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/400407416221 to switch on/off power points remotely.

As for the Christmas tree switch, I have used two of them for the last four years without problems. I use one for the exhaust blower and one for the air assist for cutting. The blower is the larger on from Harbor Freight. (green) The air assist is a large aquarium pump. I have the switches mounted to the side of the laser cabinet with 2 sided tape. I engraved a small plate and attached to the fronts to know which is which. The blower and air pump doesn't pull enough juice to heat up the Christmas tree switch. I have a store in a shopping center and if I cut or engrave a lot of acrylic at night that stinks the store up, I leave the exhaust blower running all night to air out the store without worry.

Mike, that is exactly the kind of remote I have for the tree. This was exactly what I had hoped would work until the dead of winter passes and I can do something more permanent.

John,
    You are a champion. Thanks so much for chiming in with your experience with the very system I was considering trying out. If you've been using it for four years now it sounds like I'll be safe until I've time, funds, and mild enough weather to make a permanent change. Thanks again!

I made a table out of two pretty strong saw horses I got at home depot $17 each and a couple pf 2x10 bolted to the saw horses. Painted it. its not pretty but its solid as a rock and cost less then $50.