Umbrella Stand: Behind the Door, quick weekend project

Before:
    u-before.jpg

After:
    u-after.jpg

Plans:
    v3-exploded.jpg

Any questions?

Okay, seriously... we've got a small mudroom and a large family. So, between the umpteen boots and coats, let alone the washer/dryer/sink, there just is NO extra space in the room. The umbrellas have lived behind the door forever, and are forever falling over and getting in the way. Last weekend was "the" weekend, so on Sunday afternoon I sat down and forced myself to come up with a design which would fit the space and the problem, and then went down to the shop. There my plan met my wood stash and morphed into the above end result, which I think was even better than the original plan.

I only had 3-1/2" of space to work with there. This stand is only 3" thick, by 12" long, and it holds 3 full size golf umbrellas. In fact, I could have squeezed in a fourth pretty easily. Actually, given that the doorstop holds the door 3" off the wall, I actually have the full 32" of the door width to play with, so I could easily fit a dozen umbrellas back there. I'll have to consider what other storage I could put there!

Here's a closeup shop of the umbrella stand. It is about 4" above the floor, just above the baseboard. It's held on with two screws into a stud
    u-closeup.jpg

And another shot showing the door mostly closed, and how the umbrellas are completely out of the way.
    u-skinny.jpg

There are more pictures on my website, and more explanation, but really that is about all there is to it. I love big projects, but there is also something immensely satisfying about designing and building a project in a day. Actually it took me only a few hours on Sunday afternoon, but then there was the finishing cycle which takes some time, but still I was able to install it by Tuesday morning.
    "It's Not About You."

That's totally cool and nice idea. You've got your brain in gear today.

Blog Entries
    Good looking answer to a problem.

Looks like it'd work for my son's lacrosse sticks, too, which have a similar effect on our laundry room...
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...