Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Band Saw G0514X2B

Grizzly Band Saw G0514X2B

Has anyone ever used a Grizzly G0514X2B band saw? It ranks very high in Fine Woodworking reviews, but I am wondering how it compares to other heavier duty saws. Thanks.

I have 2 Grizzly G0514X3 band saws. They are the 3 phase/foot brake version of the G0514X2B. In the past I owned a Mini Max MM20 band saw. I have been very happy with the G0514X band saws. I would not give them up to have another MM20.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    I have 2 Grizzly G0514X3 band saws. They are the 3 phase/foot brake version of the G0514X2B. In the past I owned a Mini Max MM20 band saw. I have been very happy with the G0514X band saws. I would not give them up to have another MM20.
    Just curious: Are you saying you would rather have TWO G0513X3"s than ONE MM20, or are you ok with one MM vs. one Grizz?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Just curious: Are you saying you would rather have TWO G0513X3"s than ONE MM20, or are you ok with one MM vs. one Grizz?
    Even when I had only one G0514X, I was ok with not having the MM20.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    Even when I had only one G0514X, I was ok with not having the MM20.
    Reason?

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Blog Entries
    This is heading into a MM-fest so let's be cautious. The Grizzly is $1000 to $2000 less than some of the saws folks will want to compare it to. In that light it is pretty impressive indeed. Maybe some owners of the large Delta, Jet and Powermatics could chime in for a more apples to apples comparison. BTW, no disrespect to the very nice saws that Mini Max turns out .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Has anyone ever used a Grizzly G0514X2B band saw? It ranks very high in Fine Woodworking reviews, but I am wondering how it compares to other heavier duty saws. Thanks.

A friend own a Grizzly G0514X2B bandsaw and he got a ton of use of it. The good thing about this saw is motor brake.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This is heading into a MM-fest so let's be cautious. The Grizzly is $1000 to $2000 less than some of the saws folks will want to compare it to. In that light it is pretty impressive indeed. Maybe some owners of the large Delta, Jet and Powermatics could chime in for a more apples to apples comparison. BTW, no disrespect to the very nice saws that Mini Max turns out .
    Actually, I would rather keep the thread on track, but feel more than free to start you own thread about the other saws. He was simply saying he preferred his Grizzly to his Mini Max.

I have a G0514X2B. I found it used locally less than 6 months old for a good price. Unfortunately I have never had anything else to compare. I will however say that I have been very pleased with the performance of the saw. I have done some resawing of some mahogany and maple as well as some scroll type work. No complaints and very happy with the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
    Reason?

John
    The G0514X does everything the MM20 did for alot less money. The 514X also has a couple nice features that the MM20 did not have. For the amount of money I got from selling the MM20, I was able to pay for both of the new G0514X3s & a new G0490 jointer.

I have an 0513XB2 (little brother to the 0514) and have been extremely pleased with it. The motor brake is fantastic, and although I use my horizontal resaw for resawing the few times that I've resawn on the XB2 it has done a fine job. It tracks straight.

After reading through the Grizzly website, it appears as though there are three models, the G0514, the G0514X2, and the G0514X2B. The difference seems to be no brake, a foot brake, and lastly the electronic brake. Any recommendations concerning the braking system on the saw?

I would not want that size band saw without a brake. It take a long time for the blade to stop moving on its own after the power is turned off.

The advantage of the foot brake is that you can turn off power to the saw & stop the blade at the same time with your foot, while keeping both hands on the item being cut. I have done this many times.

From what I understand, the electronic brake is activated after you push the stop button.

I have the G0514X2 (foot brake). I love my saw. It's plenty powered, stable, and works as advertised. I cut a good deal of green wood logs on it and resaw the occasional 12" slab. It handles it all without a hiccup.

I am only an aggressive hobbyist, but I can't find anything lacking on this saw. The bearings track well, are easy enough to adjust, and stay put. The tensioning and tracking mechanisms are convenient (the wheels are plastic, but not chinsy). The table tilt is heavy and stable. The included resaw fence is pretty good (except mine required shimming to get it straight - but it attaches and detaches from the fence base easy when you want to cut low.) The doors pop off the hinges easily for blade changes without having to wheel the saw away from a wall to accommodate door swing.

I have not tried a higher priced saw, but I can't see needing more out of a general purpose saw (assuming you're ok with 12" capacity for resaw) - and I buy cheap blades. If you used some of the saved money to get a couple ferrari blades, I bet you'd be hardpressed to ever regret yr decision.

Definitely get one with the brake. I have the same as Prashun.....G0514X2. I'm very happy with it. It's a lot of saw for a good price. It's probably the best saw out there in that price range. It doesn't really go head to head with the Italian saws. The Italian saws are better....they're stiffer....but they're also 2 or 3 times the price.

If I had about $1500 to spend on a new bandsaw, I would buy another 514X2 (or whatever brake you'd like).