Thread: something diffferent

something diffferent

It's not to everyones taste, but it was fun to make. I keep enjoying the critique thread, jump in on this one. I made a natural edge bench/coffee table from a big mesquite board and this was from the knarly end. 2" x 14".
    Deane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

I like this piece, it looks simple in the thumbnail but has a lot of things going on. My only quibble is the three small holes; I would have preferred them to look less like nail or screw holes. Based on location and spacing, I am sure they are intentional and appear to be orbiting.

Well Deane, I bet that creativity was fun. I like the different centers. And I like 90% of the wood. personal taste-wise, I am not yet used to turning over voids like that, but you did it well.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

having fun is the whole idea! I think this is one I would have to see in person, to get a real feel for it. the wood has a great deal of interest
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Deane, I really like it. I think the flaws and voids work well in the piece, the rugged voided edge is a juxtaposition to the perfectly crafted center (nice, by the way .) It's good to relax and just let things flow! This is an beautiful piece!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the comments! Dennis, I agree with the 3 holes. They were shallow and didn't show up well, I put a drop of stain in them and now they are too dark. I will sand them out lighter and their irregular edges will soften them. Just a little self indulgence, I've been doing several "just for myself" things lately. I'm easily entertained.
    Deane
    Franklin P. Jones

Was this intended to be a wall hanging or a table top to go with the table/bench? Could work either way. nice conversation piece and well done.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

A wall hanging, to break-up all of the rectangular stuff on our walls. I cut 4 key-hole slots in the back so is can be rotated for a different look.
    Franklin P. Jones

I like this piece a lot. Totally a work of art.

I might prefer to see a bit of different media added in. The wood is beautiful but ...overwhelming...?
    Maybe a bit of silver leaf over the center dome, or some offsetting painted pinstripes in a couple of the grooves...

I personally really like the 'nail' holes just the way they are!

Great work.
    Cheers!