Thread: Dibond

Dibond

I was in St Louis today picking up some acrylic and stopped by a friends shop. He had some samples of photographs UV printed
    on Dibond either a brushed or satin silver finish. They took my breath away!!!!

A question I have has anyone tried doing CLTT on this material? From quick research I found it is coated with a polyester paint,
    so maybe dye sub posibilities?

I am looking to experiment with this material. Does anyone know a vendor for small sizes and quantities?

I have heard it's hard to fabricate and a CNC cut is the way to go. Anyone try to cut this with a band or table saw?

Thanks!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Cuts like butter with any shop tools. I've tried heating it once a few years ago. The plastic core tends to make it bow when heated. It would probably CLTT well. There are also many less expensive brands that look the same. DiBond is a brand name and it's the top tier of the market on pricing. Your CNC router will love it. You literally won't even know it's cutting, it cuts so freely. You can also cut the back side out with a v-bit and fold it into boxes or right angles, etc. They make a special cutter for it that does a better job, but you can fudge through it with a 90 degree bit if you have to.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

agreed Dibond is easy to cut or rout. Laser Halftone photos look great on DiBond, it makes a nice black image on the white substrate giving photos with great contrast.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

So where can I get some!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Most signs supply houses will have it, check with them first. Or try Mfg website.
    http://www.graphicdisplayusa.com/dib...FWyCQgodCGIAbA
    Last edited by Paul Phillips; 02-04-2013 at 7:14 PM.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

In your area, try Grimco as the supplier. Otherwise, try calling any local sign shops and ask them if they have any smaller pieces they'd get rid of cheap.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    In your area, try Grimco as the supplier. Otherwise, try calling any local sign shops and ask them if they have any smaller pieces they'd get rid of cheap.
    Yes, I have a lot of scraps of it taking up space in my shop.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green