Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belated gloat

Belated gloat

Hi folks, some of you know that my wife and I visited Mr. Mrs. Keeton on the 29th and 30 th of December. He gave me a bunch of wood consisting of Bradford Pear, Silver Maple, a couple of Walnut rounds about 6" diameter, and a couple Walnut trees, about 18"od and 24" long. IMG_0392.jpg He also gave me a form he started that ended up cracking. IMG_0400.jpg I guess John figured I like living on that edge some of us talk about at times when describing something we just did that should have injured or killed us. I did some turning on it and put it away to completely dry before I attempt to finish it after the cracks are stabalized.
    Anyway, today I took one of the small rounds and set up to turn. 1.jpg A little over half way on the outside shape, I stopped to take a look to see if the cracks were still there.Guess what? They were. 6.jpg

This is the second batch of Walnut I've gotten from the east, and I've noticed that the wood dries from the bark towards the center. John sealed this wood, gave it to me, and I brought it home to Arizona, stored it in a cool dry place, lots of wind blowing around it, and it's cracked from the sapwood to the heartwood......
    I went ahead and turned the form, and will stabalize the cracks later. I did my best to keep the bark on, but most of it took flight at various times while turning. Done for now piece.... 8.jpg
    More to gloat aboutIMG_0394.jpg. This spalted burled and ambrosia maple came form near Branson, Missouri. It's absolutely gorgeous, and if anyone living near there and would like some of this wood, contact me and I'll give you the property owners name and number, plus the coordinates of where the tree is. It's a stump about 36" high x 24-30"od.. I took all I could and had to leave the stupm still standing, which is pretty loose and wouldn't take much to get it out of the ground.......... There are also 2 pieces of Cedar to the left that came from near the maple.
    Another gloat..... After leaving Keeton's, Ihad an appointment with the owner of Easy Wood Tools. I got 3 tools from him IMG_0397.jpg, but the biggest part of this gloat is that he wanted 4 of my peices for his collection..........
    OK Brian, nows' you chance for payback..heheheeh.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

2. Congrats on the wood and the tools Jerry! I am too far away from Branson to get some of that particular wood.......very nice of you to offer some to others who might need some wood.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

It that faceplate that spiked deal you made?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Dude! It is awesome wood. Sorry I missed your thread before. This is good stuff.

To stabilize those cracks, all you need to do is sand a ring using 400 grit - just hold it there and watch a couple of movies in the shop. Then cut a ring and insert. Finish form. Turn off the ring.

Never mind. Just come on over to Escondido and I'll show you .
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

5. I think Jerry needs to post a pic here with the wheel assembly attached..........maybe he will see this and post a couple more pics!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

good haul, sorry about the cracks but eastern wood will crack sometimes, looking forward to see what you make of the maple, hope you have better luck with cedar that i do, i have seen some nice cedar stuff on this board

Great haul but add me to Scott and Roger about wanting to know more about the faceplate jig you are holding the wood with. Thats not your fathers jig. Pun intended. Looks interesting and a different way to turn.

All that commented get "F's", except for Roger on his second post.. Look at the 3rd and 4th pictures at the beginning of the post.. What looks odd????
    Here is a hint......... Live center steady 020.jpgLive center steady 018.jpgLive center steady 016.jpgLive center steady 008.jpg These wheels could make every other type of hold down obsolete....

Here is what I've done with my Chuck Plate. I either attach the plate to the chuck plate, or just put it on and use compression between centers, and then turn off the tenon...... The CP is turning out to be a pretty good tool......... Jerry (in Tucson)
    Live center steady 017.jpgLive center steady 010.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Marcantel; 02-21-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add more pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    All that commented get "F's", except for Roger on his second post.. Look at the 3rd and 4th pictures at the beginning of the post.. What looks odd????
    Didn't realize we would be graded in how well we read your posts. Oh well. Cute idea. Next time, start a new thread for something unique, don't bury it at post 7. Sheeeesh
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

That is an interesting tailstock mounted device. I will admit that the way the photos were scattered throughout the post, I did not pick up on the new invention that Roger hinted about.

Now that you've shown upclose photos of it, I can see how that would be handy. Too bad I don't own a threaded tailstock center to make one of those for myself! I do like that spiked faceplate and have seen something similar at the symposiums and thought that it might be very handy to start between centers when a pick isn't flat on the headstock side.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    ........I do like that spiked faceplate and have seen something similar at the symposiums and thought that it might be very handy to start between centers when a pick isn't flat on the headstock side.
    Scott,

Richard Raffan has a similar one in a couple of his older books. That's where I got "my" idea for one........................
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    Didn't realize we would be graded in how well we read your posts. Oh well. Cute idea. Next time, start a new thread for something unique, don't bury it at post 7. Sheeeesh
    Greg, I didn't bury it in post 7. It started on Page 1, and ended up on page 7 before any notice of it. But thanks for your critique...... .... jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Scott,

Richard Raffan has a similar one in a couple of his older books. That's where I got "my" idea for one........................
    Richard, since you addressed Scott instead of me, I'm going to ask what book does Raffin have that has that item in it???? I'm curious because I would like to believe I'm the person who made the first one, because I don't want to take credit for something that someone has already made....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    That is an interesting tailstock mounted device. I will admit that the way the photos were scattered throughout the post, I did not pick up on the new invention that Roger hinted about.

Now that you've shown upclose photos of it, I can see how that would be handy. Too bad I don't own a threaded tailstock center to make one of those for myself! I do like that spiked faceplate and have seen something similar at the symposiums and thought that it might be very handy to start between centers when a pick isn't flat on the headstock side.
    Scott, do you have a Multi Star 32 live center? Maybe I can set you up with a pair of those wheels to test....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Dude! It is awesome wood. Sorry I missed your thread before. This is good stuff.

To stabilize those cracks, all you need to do is sand a ring using 400 grit - just hold it there and watch a couple of movies in the shop. Then cut a ring and insert. Finish form. Turn off the ring.

Never mind. Just come on over to Escondido and I'll show you .

Better yet, Brian, come out to Tucson, with a pick up, and I'll load you up with so much wood you might think you won't make it home without a breakdown. Actually, I go to Orange County about 3 times a year on I-10, but I'm familiar with Escondido. Must take I-8 to 15 then north. I might stop by next trip out. You've just now been officially warned..... Jerry (in Tucson)