Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $700 for a 1 month old Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw 10-325. Good deal?

It's not a good deal. I suspect the owner is not satisfied with the band saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'd want to make sure the warranty coverage is still good for a second owner. A call to Rikon should answer that question. Otherwise, I have one and find it a good saw. Someone else may not. Any idea why the current owner is unhappy? If he was expecting MM16 or Laguna 14 SUV functionality, I'm sure he's disappointed. Nothing says you can't offer less and as others have said, no sales tax. Short of connecting a motor wired for 120 volts to 240 volts or similar, how much 'invisible' damage could someone do in a month? As far as a % of new price, I don't think anyone would expect to pay the same price for a 20 year old machine as they would for a 1 month old machine assuming same make & model.
    It can be wired either as 120V [default] or 240V (one of those things on my list of things to do).
    Still, you're correct in that if someone used the wrong plug ends and didn't jumper it correctly, there could be damage.
    I think that powering it up at the site might reveal that telltale bakelite stench that says "this one is done".

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    It's not a good deal. I suspect the owner is not satisfied with the band saw.
    Considering that the 18" Rikon with another HP was available on sale for less than $1000 from Woodcraft during that promotion ... I have no idea as to what you might be talking about having to settle for only 1.5 HP when resawing.
    Still, the GoggleWorks has a 14" Rikon for small stuff and a 20"(?) Powermatic when its time to make some time. One might find room in a shop for both.
    I'd hate to have to start the resawing operation at the table saw, taking the hit of a TK blade and losing sight of the blade location in the board due to starting the resaw on the table saw, but its an option.