Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: words fail me ...

words fail me ...

item # 181071852441

I guess this is to be expected following last weeks' 500+ dollar backsaw and late-model MF mitre box auction.

Oh, man...I was hoping nobody else would see it! This will probably drive the price up. Thanks alot!

I initially assumed that he must be selling that to collectors and that there was something really collectable about it I wasn't aware of.. BUT he says right on it that its been restored (thats a collector no-no right?) and that it works great. Sounds like its being targeted towards user.... I'm going to put that on my watch list just to see if it ever actually sells. That's even nuttier than the 2k+ lot of MF planes that's been up for months.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I saw that $500 backsaw - what was up with that?
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Free shipping. That's a nice afterthought....

Back when ebay was similar on listing fees and sellers fees, you didn't see any of this goofiness.

Fellow must be trying to win a vacation

If you guys are referring to the NOS Grove's saw as the "$500 backsaw", it didn't actually sell for that. E-bay has a funny quirk - it will list an item as "sold" (in this case, for $630), but won't actually let you know that it went for "best offer accepted" until you click on the specific item.

The explanation for the miter box is that it was set up and sharpened by azmica90405. I don't know who the person actually is (real name), but he has a tremendous reputation on the 'bay. Search for his "completed" listings for examples - the Disston Acme 120 typically brings about $150-$200 at MWTCA meets in unrestored bu undamaged condition.

But honey, I tried to sell it.

I was refering to a W. Cresson London Springs backsaw that recently went for $535 (330855921050). I'm guessing there's some historical significance to the saw, as it was in pretty ugly condition (at least to my newb eyes)...
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

This is why I watch auctions on that site. They really make me wonder.

There is also a $499 yankee push drill on that site.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

If you look at the sellers completed listings, it looks like he's already tried to sell this before with no bids. The 608 he's selling looks like it's been listed 4 or 5 times with the same price and no bids. (I'd balk at that price too considering what a Lie Nielsen goes for.) I wonder how many times this will go up. I mean, if you're in no hurry to sell and just keep listing until a sucker comes along, I guess it works.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    He says it all in the listing:

Very difficult to part with this tool.
    So now he won't have to.

One way to "try" to sell your cake and eat it too.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    If you guys are referring to the NOS Grove's saw as the "$500 backsaw", it didn't actually sell for that. E-bay has a funny quirk - it will list an item as "sold" (in this case, for $630), but won't actually let you know that it went for "best offer accepted" until you click on the specific item.

The explanation for the miter box is that it was set up and sharpened by azmica90405. I don't know who the person actually is (real name), but he has a tremendous reputation on the 'bay. Search for his "completed" listings for examples - the Disston Acme 120 typically brings about $150-$200 at MWTCA meets in unrestored bu undamaged condition.
    I believe his name is Michael Merlo (he is also a registered Creek member, but I don't believe has posted anything as of late), and indeed he seems to have a great reputation, that extends beyond EBay. I have never dealt with him personally, so everything I know is just from trolling the web. Seems that California is a great place to find good saw restorers, though (yeah, I am thinking of our own creeker, Mike Allen)!
    Last edited by Augusto Orosco; 01-31-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Yeah, Michael Merlo almost has a subculture of buyers following him around. That's just the nature of ebay and looking at past sales and feedback, though. I wonder how many of his buyers are in the states...they might be coming from places where tools are more scarce.

I know when I sold George's stones for him, it was a lost cause trying to find a buyer in the states for them, but as soon as I opened up the auctions to international, most of the stuff sold shortly after listing.