Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used Bandsaw

I would have to agree that the price is on the high side. However I also agree that it's hard to find new replacement machines of the same quality that are affordable. Used stuff is certainly not for everyone, but does offer some real opportunity to buy much better quality equipment for a fraction of what a new equivalent would run.

As an example, I bought a basket case shaper not too long ago for $800. It looked bad, had surface rust and paint spills on the top, not to mention marks from having been used as an anvil. It needed bearings and I wasn't even sure if the lubrication system needed to be rebuilt, plus the cutterhead that was on it was frozen solid to the spindle! So I brought it back to the shop and invested close to 4x what I paid for the machine to get her up and running. I now have one of the best industrial shapers ever made, and though I spent a chunk of cash and several days of my time in labor, I could not buy an equivalent machine for under $10k.

Like I said, used is not for everyone, and that asking price is on the high side. Just don't be fooled into thinking a new Asian machine is automatically a better "value"

good luck,
    JeffD

Walker turner 16",
    Sweet!
    the price could be better
    I love the base!

might be a little high but even still you drop another 700 or a grand into it, be worth the money!
    Carpe Lignum

Value is in the eyes of the beholder for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Walker turner 16",
    Sweet!
    the price could be better
    I love the base!

might be a little high but even still you drop another 700 or a grand into it, be worth the money!

Jim

To me, it all depends on if it runs. If that saw currently runs, and there is nothing broken on it, it would be up and running in a day or two.
    I see a weekend of disassembly, cleaning, rust removal, greasing and realignment. But, I also know that not everyone has time for doing that stuff.
    For the right person, it's a nice saw.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

go check it out and get friendly with seller.
    saw will eventually sell for market price.

I like vintage band saw and that band saw is decent but the price is pretty too high . If you will keep on looking for used band saw , try reading this blog
    . But I think it would be best to keep looking.

I've been looking at Craigs list fairly steady, and find that the good buys are gone very quick, and the high priced stuff gets relisted over and over. Try talking to the guy, he probably just started high, as you can't raise your price as easily as dropping it.

I dropped the fellow a message to see if he has any room to move, but I suspect he'll pass on responding. I don't need another project right now, and that affects the amount I'd pay. I suspect someone out there may want this project more than I do and be willing to pay more.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 01-30-2013 at 1:28 PM.

Not worth the asking price. Maybe $150 to $300 but that is pushing it. $750 plus restoration could equal anywhere from a $1000 bs to a $1500 bs. Best to go get a Grizzly for $1400. When looking at vintage tools you have to decide what your real hobby is. Is it woodworking or tool restoration. IMO it is a PITA to do both.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    I'd like it a lot more for $350.00
    You would not get the 14" model for that. This saw has some serious heft to it.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jack, you are the guy I want to buy my used stuff from and sell my new stuff to. A $1400 Grizzly isn't even close to a decent WT. you are right that machine work can be a PITA though. Dave

+1 on that.

Where were you stationed. A long time ago I worked at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. SAC Base. Lot of fine military people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Not worth the asking price. Maybe $150 to $300 but that is pushing it. $750 plus restoration could equal anywhere from a $1000 bs to a $1500 bs. Best to go get a Grizzly for $1400. When looking at vintage tools you have to decide what your real hobby is. Is it woodworking or tool restoration. IMO it is a PITA to do both.

Jack

13. Jim,

Same saw was listed for $900 a few weeks ago. Good luck getting an answer. I responded to the ad last Sat and still haven't received a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Jack, you are the guy I want to buy my used stuff from and sell my new stuff to. A $1400 Grizzly isn't even close to a decent WT. you are right that machine work can be a PITA though. Dave
    Hi David. Well I must say that yes I do sell tools for cheap. Why? To get them out of my garage as fast as possible. I dont like to haggle over prices. I know a good old WT will cut just as good as the rest but having to get it to that point, IMO is a pain and life is just to short and shop space is a premium.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    +1 on that.

Where were you stationed. A long time ago I worked at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. SAC Base. Lot of fine military people there.

Hi Jim, I retired at the end of 2006 out of Hurlburt Field AFB in Fort Walton Beach Florida. My first base was Blytheville AFB from 1986 to 1991 then went over seas for a while.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006