Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plywood in Maryland??

I would also vote for Wurth Wood Group if you can get there. Even though they don't have a showroom you get to see the plywood when they bring it out to load it. I have asked them to bring out the whole stack before when I was buying cherry or walnut ply. It's usually very good but if you see something you don't like send it back, they are aware of how much you are paying and don't have a problem with that.

Also, Hicksville Planing Mill in Clearspring, MD does sell plywood along with a selection of hardwoods to drool over. Their prices are always reasonable.

-Alden

"How about Hardwoods, Inc in Frederick?"

I drove by the Hardwood store in Frederick a few months back and they were closed. I don't know if they moved or went out of business.

Paul please add your location. Cant help without it. BTW The Home depot in Silver Spring had 1 sheet of what you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W Gillespie View Post
    Looking for an inexpensive, ie sub $40 sheets of 3/4 plywood to build simple shop cabinets and tool carts. Home Depot once in a blue moon stocks this as a special in Maryland, I guess, but they don't regularly stock it. I can get it in NJ, Del, Pa, but not in MD. And it used to cost only $30 a sheet, but even at $35 it is not bad.

I bought a sheet of 3/4" Columbia PureBond C-2 Birch at my local Homies for around $50 that I made a rolling shop table from. I expected it to have wavy veneers and lots of voids, but to my surprise, the 5 ply core had no voids in any of my cuts, and the veneer was thick enough that it withstood a couple of swipes from my jack plane. I'm sure it's not the best of plywoods out there, but being able to get it 7 days a week at the Home Depot nearby was nice. They also carry it in 1/2" and 1/4" that looked decent.

BTW, for those folks who've bought from Wurth Wood Group, how are their prices? I've called them and asked if they sold to retail customers and they said that they were wholesale only, so I didn't get to asking about their prices.
    CT

I recommended Wurth earlier in this thread, but the last time I went they had closed their "will call" counter and had a sign saying you must open an account with them, order by phone, and pay in advance.
    I guess they don't want to deal with hobbyists anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    try woodfinder.com as a start. I'm also looking for a good supplier but I'm a few months out still.
    I know this is an older post, but the problem with woodfinder is that it is very incomplete. I just did a search locally and the closest it found to me was 50 miles away. I know there are at least 4 places not on their list, most of them within 30 miles. It might be a good place to start but not one to take as gospel.