Thread: Music box for wife for V-day

Music box for wife for V-day

I actually finished early. It looked better in my head. I don't know why. Ever have a project like that? I hope the wife likes it, my daughter does. The box is big so it can be upgraded to a 72 note movement someday. It is East Indian Rosewood and quilted Maple. I etched the glass.

DSC_1118.jpgDSC_1119.jpgDSC_1122.jpg
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 01-27-2013 at 1:02 AM. Reason: picture issues

Looks pretty nice Cary,You guys get all the best woods up there in the pacific north west.Quilted maple is one of my favorites.

Looks great. I like the mitered corners.

Andrew,
    We may get best woods but we pay dearly for them.

That is a great looking box! Sweet, Lucky receiver !

Well built and the wood is gorgeous.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Beautiful wood. Nice choice and nice design. Well Done!!!!

Blog Entries
    Great looking box. I may have trouble looming on the horizon because I had to stop and think what V-Day stood for!

Cary,

Great looking music box. That 72 note movement would look good as well. A few questions if you don't mind. What type of finish did you use? That maple really pops. How did you etch the glass? How do you wind the movement, and turn it on?

Your wife is going to be really happy. I don't see how you built such a beautifully music box without her catching you in the act.

Sam

The box looks fantastic! Beautiful wood and very nice, clean miters. I can't make out the etching, but I am sure that looks great, too.

Any tips for how you got the miters so clean and tight?

BTW, I didn't really know anything about music box movements, so I had to look up "72 note movement". Amazing stuff! Makes me want to build a music box. Of course, I will have to save my pennies and save my dimes if I am going to put in a 74 note movement

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Layton View Post
    Cary,

Great looking music box. That 72 note movement would look good as well. A few questions if you don't mind. What type of finish did you use? That maple really pops. How did you etch the glass? How do you wind the movement, and turn it on?

Your wife is going to be really happy. I don't see how you built such a beautifully music box without her catching you in the act.

Sam
    I etched the glass with a glass etching cream from Michael's craft store. There is a hole in the bottom of the box that you wind from under the box. Because of the glass in the sides there isn't really a place to add a pin to stop it when the door is closed so it runs until the springs fully undwinds. The finish is BLO and semi-gloss laquer. It was actually a pretty quick build. My shop/garage is a mess so it was pretty easy to hide. I am in the middle of making my son a bed so I told her I was working on that. I did most of it when she was at work and I was home. That happens a couple times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Babel View Post
    The box looks fantastic! Beautiful wood and very nice, clean miters. I can't make out the etching, but I am sure that looks great, too.

Any tips for how you got the miters so clean and tight?

BTW, I didn't really know anything about music box movements, so I had to look up "72 note movement". Amazing stuff! Makes me want to build a music box. Of course, I will have to save my pennies and save my dimes if I am going to put in a 74 note movement
    The etching on the glass is an 1/8" border around the window opening. You can kind of see it in on the end window on the first picture. I have a incra 1000SE miter gauge and a Incra miter sled that helped out a lot on the miters. Using some dark dye in the wood glue for the rosewood miters helped. The 3 point miters for the box itself turned out pretty good. I made all the side panels first, then 45'ed the sides to make the corners. I just took my time and made sure everything was square during the glue ups and it all lined up pretty good.

I 'm also saving my pennys for a 72 note movement. The one in there is a 32 and it wasn't cheap. I am amazed at how much this thing cost to build.

Thanks for the info Cary. The glass etching is interesting.

Good job, Sam

It's gonna be hard to top that next year! But you've got a whole year to work on it.