Thread: Grizzly 17" Ultimate Bandsaw G0636XB

If you are using it for resaw, I would take a look hard at the Minimax MM20

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMbF15k2jTo

Talk to Erik Loza about it

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?89866-Erik-Loza

Your next option is the Laguna Italian LT16 HD Bandsaw

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/bandsaw-lt16hd
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 01-26-2013 at 9:21 PM.

Jim

I don't know that I would evaluate it solely on how it stacks up against an Italian bandsaw. I'd look more at will it do what you need it too.

Steven
    I don't know that the video that you linked too really demonstrates the capabilities of the MM's, which are fabulous bandsaws by the way.
    Walnut is a relatively "soft" hardwood, and what the video demonstrated is easily accomplished with most adequately powered saws of that design type, with a proper blade, regardless of country of origin. Push some Brazilian Walnut through a saw of you're really trying to "put the wood to it", and yes, I have along with some Brazilian ebony. Padauk,and Jatoba can bring a bandsaw to it's knees also on tall, long resaws. An 8"x 22' long Sitka spruce beam is a good test too..
    They should have included a close up of the board faces to show the smoothness of the resawn faces, if that's what they were trying to point out.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Didn't the OP ask if anybody had an experience with a G0636XB?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    I've had one for at least a couple of years in my production shop. It replaced an 18" Jet. I've not operated any of the Italian saws, but I would be surprised if they could do anything I can't do with the Grizzly.

Perry
    Jim, I should have added an invitation to come by my shop and play with mine, if you would like. I'm in Asheville, NC a nice place to visit for other reasons.

Perry

I don't own either MM or Grizzly saws- I'm a cast iron guy- but I wouldn't consider it a sales pitch if Mr. Balolia would give us specifics on the relatively new saw. I'd be interested in frame and neck build, sheet metal thickness and how it is designed for strength, how the tensioning support has been beefed up and what type of blades- carbide resaw types could be tensioned to. Have the bearings been upgraded to support the additional stress, stuff like that. It is difficult to get any details on how machines are built so we all speculate and extrapolate based on experience which isn't always valid. I'd like more knowledge. Dave

6. Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    .............I'd like more knowledge. Dave
    The very first thing I would do is read the detailed specifications that are available for each machine on our website on the machine page.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-5...-Brake/G0636XB

While you are at it, you may be interested in looking at the manual that's also posted on the website.

Secondly, watch the video of our bandsaw comparison,

Thirdly, call our toll-free line and ask for the name of a person closest to you that has purchased the machine you are interested in,

Fourth, call our service techs for specific information you could not find in all of the above,

Fifth, ask on the forum about owners who have first hand experience with the particular machine you are interested in.

These are the tools readily available to get all the information you want on most of our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Didn't the OP ask if anybody had an experience with a G0636XB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    ..................Any comparisons to the Italian saws?
    Parts of that Italian bandsaw post were informative, much strayed into infomercial, glad I saw it while it was here...
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Parts of that Italian bandsaw post were informative, much strayed into infomercial, glad I saw it while it was here...
    JR...what I saw was a lot of recommendations for Italian made bandsaws without anyone stating they had seen and/or operated both saws and thus could provide a comparison.

I interpreted the OPs questions as 1) Does anybody have experience with the G0636XB?" and 2) "How does the Grizzly G0636XB compare to Italian made bandsaws" .....not "Give me a recommendation for an Italian made bandsaw."

BTW....I have an MM-16.....but I didn't respond to the OP's questions as I haven't seen the Grizzly product and thus can't make a comparison or evaluation.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-28-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I wish Grizzly would purchase a MM16 and compare it directly in a youtube video with the G0636. It would be so insightful and could possibly do lots to increase sales of the G0636. An honest side by side comparison would be awesome! Another thing; having 6 different 17" bandsaws makes no sense. When I took marketing in college, I learned that when people are given too many choices, they won't choose but if only given 2-3 choices, they will usually act.
    Last edited by Andy Cover; 11-27-2018 at 2:38 PM.

I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas

When I was considering my current saw, I was advised on good authority that in fact the G0636 IS squarely aimed at the Italian saws. So an apples to apples comparison would be fair.

A blanket denegration is not fair.

I purchased a G0636XB in July of 2018. I was initially planning on purchasing a MM20. However, there weren’t any available at the time. I own a 16” Grizzly Jointer and a 20” Grizzly planer. I’m happy with both of those tools. So, I felt comfortable purchasing the G0636XB. After 4 months of ownership, I’m still happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cover View Post
    When I took marketing in college, I learned that when people are given too many choices, they won't choose but if only given 2-3 choices, they will usually act.
    For every textbook rule, there is an entire tome of real-world caveats. The most profitable (per vehicle) car manufacturer in the world is Porsche. Porsche offers 20 distinct models of the venerable 911 and pages of options for each one.

The G0636 and G0701 are excellent saws and it is unlikely someone would be unhappy with them unless they didn't buy enough saw for their needs. IMO they are not the best new saws in their class but the better saws cost more. There is usually a reason a company benchmarks another product and to come full circle it is the reason so many sports car manufacturers benchmark the 911.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've had a G0636X for a little over 2 years now. At the time I bought it it was substantially cheaper than a MM16, around $2900 to my door. Shipping was fast; I got it 3 days after I placed my order, and it arrived without damage. The machine weighs around 650 lbs and is very, very solid and stiff. The cast iron wheels are pretty massive. The fence is far better than what MM offered at the time, though I don't use it much since I built a stand alone tall resaw fence. The saw arrived in near perfect setup, I don't recall having to adjust anything beyond resetting the guides for a new blade and putting the fence together. I use this BS primarily for resawing thick stock and cutting veneer. I keep a Woodmaster CT on it most of the time. The saw has no trouble putting a measured 27K psi on a 1" blade at the factory spring setting, so it can go much higher if asked because the saw is rated for a 1-3/8" blade. With a sharp blade it cuts 12" hardwood as fast as you can push it through. I'm quite sure anyone who decides to purchase the G0636X or other variant will be very happy with the saw. Grizzly may not have the image of MM or the other Italian saws but this saw gives up nothing in performance.

John

I am planning a trip to Springfield Mo in the next couple weeks and i will probably bring a G0636X home with me. I will also be running up to KC to pick up a Felder sliding table saw that I purchased. Merry Christmas to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    For every textbook rule, there is an entire tome of real-world caveats. The most profitable (per vehicle) car manufacturer in the world is Porsche. Porsche offers 20 distinct models of the venerable 911 and pages of options for each one.

The G0636 and G0701 are excellent saws and it is unlikely someone would be unhappy with them unless they didn't buy enough saw for their needs. IMO they are not the best new saws in their class but the better saws cost more. There is usually a reason a company benchmarks another product and to come full circle it is the reason so many sports car manufacturers benchmark the 911.
    OFF TOPIC ALERT:
    Ferrari kills Porsche in profit per car. Ferrari-$80K vs. Porsche-$17.5K.