Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for new 24 inch bandsaw purchase (single phase)

Suggestions for new 24 inch bandsaw purchase (single phase)

Hi,

Will porobably purchase a 24 inch, single phase band saw soon, and my budget is in the low 3k. Looking for 3hp. Usage would not be limited to resawing. I am wondering if anyone has experience or comments to offer per the following models:

-Powermatic 2415: I am realy considering this, but the following review brings up some interesting issues:

http://www.woodworking2.org/ToolSurv...ending&-search

-Tannewitz HB600 - an old, great name, this is 5 hp, single phase.

-Laguna LT 24: a bit out of my budget (at 4k).

-Minimax MM24: above my budget, but wondering if it is worth paying extra for this. (I think that this sells for somewhere around 3.5k).

-Oliver: Not sure of the price, or the reputation of the new oliver models.

-Bridgewood: Shying away from this. Would just buy Agazanni.

-Agazanni: Great reputation. I know the reputation, but wondering if vibration might be an issue as this is lighter (600lbs. that other manufacturers models).

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

I have the Agazzani 20" and it has been great! I saw the 24" at the Pomona WW show and it really is a terrific bandsaw... I bought mine on the reccomendation of Mark Duginski, Krenov and Maloof are also owners.

No vibration problems at all!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

24" Bandsaw

Brian,

I was curious why you need a 24" bandsaw. If you could go with a 20" it would open up many more options given your budget. As a matter of fact I think Minimax has a sale on the MM20 right now at $3195 delivered according to their website.

Looking at one myself...

Greg

Unless you can find old iron, I'm partial to the Italian saws at this point...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

24" bandsaw

Brian,
    I currently own a Agazzani B-24. It is a very good saw but as you noticed it is significantly lighter than lets say..... a Minimax MM-24. I will keep my comparisons to these two only because I chose not to go the ACM route(Laguna, Felder, Bridgewood) for many reasons. BY the way I purchased my B-24 about 4-5 years ago and MM was just not around as they are today. In order to cut it short, the B-24 is a very refined saw, the MM is built like a tank. I feel that a bandsaw, particularly, should have all the mass possibly in order to run smoothly (assuming all the other things are done right). The old beasts use to weigh a ton or two (literally) and were very smooth. The current more modern Italian designs use steel instead of all that cast iron. The MM uses the thickest steel and thickest cast iron top of all saws. It also has the most massive tensioning mechanism of any saw. It most definately is not as pretty as an Agazzani but we are not buying pretty, at least I am not. If I were to do it again today I would get the MM.

Hi brian

I had a 24 inch italian saw and it was a great running saw ( it was a Laguna lt 24 / ACM which worked fine without any problem what so ever - I would buy it again without hesitation ). I think that the 24" size is a good one for many shops. I wouldn't worry about 100 lbs here or there on the vibration issue. If the wheels are not properly balanced and running true, I don't care if it weighs 3000 lbs, it will vibrate. If you are thinking about an old iron saw then there are a lot of things that one should consider. I happen to have one of those machines, which I will be posting soon and will discuss some of its features.

good questions
    keep doing the research and take a look at all of the saws and see how comfortable they feel when you are standing infront of them.
    lou

I

don't know where you live but there is a 24" Delta going up for auction in Bergen NY(western NY) in a few weeks. WWW.Harriswilcox.com From the listing they have a lot of nice hardware going up for auction. appears a wood shop has gone out of business. I have no affiliation, just found it looking for real estate auctions.

For that much money I'd look for an older Tannewitz or Oliver. You could easily get a 30"-36" and rotary converter for well under $2000. Just a little while ago a bunch of Tanny's went for $400-$600 at an auction. If I didn't already have a 20" Yates I would have jumped on one. You'll get more resaw height, more stable (heavy CI, 1500-2000#'s) and faster feed ( more FPM).

Marty

If you're willing to consider used saws, look at www.exfactory.com, under Saws - band/resaw/scroll. Some of them are beat up factory models, but it's my understanding that you can get a good machine if you're patient and check the listings regularly.

Be careful of exfactory. I've found much of what they list is just relisted from other websites with the price doubled. Do searches on used machinery dealers before looking at exfactory.

ebay is a good source.
    Auctions
    irsauctions.com (not gov't)
    Try this: http://irsauctions.com/index_search_results.asp?ind=50

A caveat for buying ANY used machinery is "buyer beware" and - if you're not the sort who is good at inspecting and rebuilding machinery - consider carefully before buying used.

Been there, done that.

My bandsaw is a 1957 Rockwell (made by Crescent) 20" saw that I bought from a local dealer. In retrospect, I would have been better off buying a new Italian saw and it wouldn't have cost me that much more $. Don't get me wrong - the b/s is a good saw. However, I still need to align the wheels and the dust collection isn't as good as a new saw would be.

Quote Originally Posted by martyphee
    For that much money I'd look for an older Tannewitz or Oliver. You could easily get a 30"-36" and rotary converter for well under $2000. Just a little while ago a bunch of Tanny's went for $400-$600 at an auction. If I didn't already have a 20" Yates I would have jumped on one. You'll get more resaw height, more stable (heavy CI, 1500-2000#'s) and faster feed ( more FPM).

Marty
    Hi marty
    I was wondering if you have actually owned any 36" bandsaws ( tannewitz, MOAK, Oliver, Yates 36" or Northfield ) and if so what your experience with them has been. On your current yates ( which BTW are very nice machines ) what is the SFPM?
    thanks
    lou

I suggest the ACM Star 600. This saw can be purchased through Karmen's Tool and Supply (http://www.karmans.com). This saw is made in Italy.

Earlier this year, I bought the ACM Star 400 (400 mm or 16") from Karmen's and had good dealings with Ivan Mangotich (1-877-396-6239).

I have a Yates Y-20 Snowflake from 1936. This is a 20" bandsaw. My SFPM is about 4700. Someone had thrown away the original motor so I had to find a replacement. Luckly I had one laying around that fit perfectly since the motor frame (225) isn't made any longer. This is a direct drive model as are a lot of bigger saws. The motor is turning at 900rpm, with the help of a VFD. Given the link below calculates to 4700 SFPM. I've cut through 6" 's of material like butter with hardly any slowing of the blade. I'm only running about 1.25hp using the VFD on a 5hp motor.

Here's mine when I first got it. Not too pretty. I don't have any newer pictures. This summer I hope to get it sand blasted and repainted.
    http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=178

Here is a nicer version.
    http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2310

Unlike most of these steel saws mine is one piece cast iron and weighs in at around 1200#'s. There is no flex in this saw.

If you can find a Northfield I don't think you can go wrong. Northfield still sells many replacement parts for them. The most you should ever really need though are new tires and there pretty easy to put on. Just got here for pointers: www.owwm.com

http://www.owwm.com/Math/SFPM.asp

You've got to be careful of many dealers. I know of more than one dealer who considers a rebuild a fresh coat of paint. If you don't know what to look for ask (www.owwm.com). Wealth of knowledge and experiance.

>>In retrospect, I would have been better off buying a new Italian saw and it wouldn't have cost me that much more $.

It could have cost less, but an old cast iron saw will out perform most of the newer saws any day. I believe your's is a one piece casting isn't it? The shear mass of these saws stops any vibration and the rigidity of the saw allows you to tension up the blade much better than welded steel.