Thread: Toy Box Lid Support

Toy Box Lid Support

I am building a toy box for a client who wants the top to be hinged (of course) but have a lid support to keep it from closing on tiny hands.
    I have seen some of the offerings.
    Does anyone have first hand experience and would recommend one in particular? (Lid is 36"x18"x 3/4 walnut).
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I used one made by a company called Sugastune and is shone here. It can be purchased on Amazon or Rockler. The lid on my blanket chest is approx. the same size as yours and I just used one. Mine closes softly and works fine; however, you could also use two of them if you had concerns. I have a friend that used the same on his toy box and he also just used one with no problems. His has been in use for nearly a year.

Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 01-24-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Add additional information.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    I recommend the torsion hinges from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&site=ROCKLER
    I used them on a blanket box and I think they are great.

Jim, are the torsion hinges difficult to pull down? And once they "break over" do they allow the lid to "pop" down?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Hi Tom,
    +1 for the Rockler torsion hinges. If I recall correctly, Rockler has a calculator based on the dimensions of the top to determine how many hinges are required. I built a toy chest with a larger top, maybe 24" deep and slightly longer, and I should have used four hinges instead of three. The top has a too much "pop" as it nears being closed. Also, I used poplar for the top since it was to be painted so with walnut being more dense, you may want to add one more hinge than what's recommended.

Same ones as Gordon posted. I love them. On the bigger side (48" x 16" or so, can't remember) I used 2 of them. Very happy with them.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41427,41390

Another vote for the Rockler torsion hinges. I used them on a blanket chest.

One thing I would recommend on a toy box is something to stop the lid so it can't open beyond the range of the hinges. It will keep the lid from ripping out the mounting screws on the hinges. Kids can be rough closing AND opening the lid!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    Jim, are the torsion hinges difficult to pull down? And once they "break over" do they allow the lid to "pop" down?
    I didn't experience any pop going closed. It's just a slow, friction closing action. Not difficult to pull down; just enough drag to maybe prevent one kid from slamming it closed on another kid's hand. You will need to weigh the top to get the right hinges. I stood on the bathroom scale with and without to get the weight.

I spelled the name of the soft close device in my post above, the correct spelling is Sugatsune. I bought mine from Amazon.
    Best Regards,

Gordon